German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So often responsible dog ownership seems to be synonimous with cleaning up your dog's poop, or spay/neuter, but I think that these are not nearly as important as many other things, and should not label a person "responsible" for doing them, or "irresponsible" for not (except the cleaning up the poop thing). What are your top items for responsible dog ownership?

1. Training the dog
2. Containing the dog
3. Keeping the dog safe
4. Providing proper nutrician
5. Providing proper veterinary care
6. Sharing knowledge
7. Keeping abreast of local legislation
8. Following the current ordinances
9. Being a good neighbor
10. Doing no harm
11. Donating/helping where possible
12. Being involved with canine issues
13. Providing a forever home
14. Continuous Learning (us not the dog)
15. Ensuring that younger generations will be able to benefit from sharing their lives with dogs too.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i hate when other people's dog issues become MY issue. Like the nieghbor dog who urinates all over my newly planted flowers, or shrubs, or grill cover, or childs sandbox WHILE the kids are playing in it!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!

Keep your dog as healthy as you can! If you can afford wendys 15 nights a month dont say you can afford vaccinations!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think knowing where your dog is all the time is in the top priority. If you let them wander (which I'm sure no one on this forum does) you are not providing a lot of the other items. My dogs are never outside without me. I live in the boonies and have a lot of problems with loose dogs. We have filed an official complaint about a sheltie that was wandering repeatedly with a "lampshade collar" on. Obviously the dog had been to the vet but the owner didn't care. What really ticks me off now is my neghbor ( about 1/4 mile away) owns a yellow lab, she wanders except when she is in heat then he breeds her to sell the puppies. She is 6 years old and has had 5 batches of puppies. She poops all over my lawn and I have to clean it up. I call to complain and only get his machine, he never calls back. The dog only means money to him. I would go crazy if I didn't know where my dogs were.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree with all of this, but really lean towards providing a good life for your own dog. Basicaly things that make life tolerable. Like raising the standards of basic care. Feeding a halfway decent food, vet care if sick, companionship, exercise, training basic manners, keeping the dog from bothering your neighbors, etc.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
buying from a reputable breeder
if you're buying a pup. <

bonding with each other. <

feeding a high quality food. <

Vet care. <

providing a safe enviroment. <

training and socializing. <

spending a lot of time together.<

being a good ambassador for our breed. <

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
For me its about loving my dogs, spending time with them, training them, giving them top notch hygeine and vet care, stimulating them, and ensuring their happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts