German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to start brushing Wolfy's teeth on a regular basis. He is almost 2 and he has build up forming. What toothpaste do you recommend?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I use Tropiclean both the gel and the daily oral water additive. I have been using it for a year and at Sting's annual checkup last month the vet was impressed with how well his teeth and gums were. This stuff is amazing - I use a finger brush though it can just be applied directly to the gums - my Sting loves the taste. After the first 2 weeks, it just needs to be applied twice a week.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started brushing his teeth a couple weeks ago and I notice a huge difference. He actually likes getting them brushed :)

·
Registered
31,702 Posts
chicken feet...that's all I use

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I brush lucy's teeth about 3 times a week. She's five now and they're still as white as they were when they first game in.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
crunchy chicken necks .

never needed to brush teeth . Even the 11 year old has gleaming white.

when feeding raw , the meat has protease , which will break down the plaque .

please be aware that human toothpaste may be sweetened with Xylitol --- many are because that is beneficial for our teeth , one reason why it appears in chewing gum . But for a dog it does not take much Xylitol to kill the dog. It is very toxic.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jax-chicken feet?? really? raw or cooked?
lucy dog-that's good to know! a girl I know keeps pushing for me to have wolf's teeth cleaned by the vet because she doesn't think a toothbrush is enough for a dog haha go figure. his teeth really aren't bad, so good to know after 5 years they're still in good shape.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
carm-we did the raw food diet for just shy of 2 years and his teeth were SPOTLESS but he started getting bones stuck so we stopped :-\

·
Registered
31,702 Posts
raw. Jax had a couple teeth with crud on them and they are clean now. Sometimes I give them frozen but I think they are wearing her teeth down like that so most of the time they are thawed.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I also use raw chicken parts for 'toothbrushing'. Way more delicious and (to me) it does a better job. All my kids have gleaming pearly whites. I highly recommend it!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I just brushed all of my dogs teeth today. I use the arm and hammer toothpaste that is made for dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts