German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sagan in 6months in the beginning of August. He's been fed raw since ten weeks. Im concerned that he has some dental issues developing but being my first dog I don't know if it's something they just go through as they are teething. Below are photos of both the issues I have found.

(1) It looks like one of his rear lower molars is coming in crooked. Are there any negative health implications to this or just aesthetic?

(2) More concerning to me is that his lower canines are piercing his top palate. I'm really hoping this is somewhat common in the teething stage and that his jaw and head is just growing more slowly right now. Does anyone here have experience with this issue during the teething stage? Does it go away as he matures or is it something I need address with an orthopedic vet?

Lower molar:

Lower molar:

Top Palate:

6months:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with you that it is just teething and growing.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
My 6 mo old pup is having a similar issue with his lower canines.

I spoke with a vet dentist and a few breeders, his included, and was told the same thing.

Find a ball or kong, that is just a bit bigger than the inside of his canines and have him chew it for 15 min 3x a day to help them move out into correct position. If you don't see improvement in 4-6 weeks then a consult with a vet dentist may be needed to figure out if they need to be corrected with a spacer.

The research I did says that the lower jaw does grow a bit slower. My pups baby teeth were perfect, perfect bite. So I am hoping this corrects itself. With a little help from me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^Thanks, that's great information. I have the perfect size kong to help it in that direction.

I spoke with my breeder and he told me not to worry that these things are regular. He also said that the holes may have been left from the pockets of the baby teeth. I'm pretty sure his molar won't correct itself and turn 90degrees but as long as it remains healthy and comfortable for him I'll be happy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maverick experienced the same thing with her lower canines. It is common; however, it can be painful for them. The holes in her upper jaw were severe and there was risk of infection. While the doggie dentist said her lower jaw would catch up and grow, and the teeth should push themselves outward, in this case she recommended some orthodontics to help it along. It was the least invasive method. No grinding of the teeth, just something on the lower canines only to help push them outward. It was a long 30 days, but worth it. She looked like Beast from Beauty and the Beast with large white things on her lower canines, but again, very worth it. She also told us that things like tug o war can create this situation when they are so young. This process was very pricey, but again, Maverick's situation was severe. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Maverick experienced the same thing with her lower canines. It is common; however, it can be painful for them. The holes in her upper jaw were severe and there was risk of infection. While the doggie dentist said her lower jaw would catch up and grow, and the teeth should push themselves outward, in this case she recommended some orthodontics to help it along. It was the least invasive method. No grinding of the teeth, just something on the lower canines only to help push them outward. It was a long 30 days, but worth it. She looked like Beast from Beauty and the Beast with large white things on her lower canines, but again, very worth it. She also told us that things like tug o war can create this situation when they are so young. This process was very pricey, but again, Maverick's situation was severe. Good luck!
if you don't mind me asking or maybe in PM, sounds like you did acrylics pane, how much did that cost >.< I am also hoping our insurance will help out...

·
Registered
126 Posts
We paid $1400.00 for the entire procedure, including follow up appts. If I can find a picture of what she had on her lower canines, I will post it. It was expensive, but worth it. Her situation was pretty severe. One vet told us to pull the lower canines it was so bad, but that of course was not an option. The orthodontics were not invasive and they did the trick!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My female had some weird canine alignment when they were coming in. It sorted out. She as a perfect scissor bite now.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
We paid $1400.00 for the entire procedure, including follow up appts. If I can find a picture of what she had on her lower canines, I will post it. It was expensive, but worth it. Her situation was pretty severe. One vet told us to pull the lower canines it was so bad, but that of course was not an option. The orthodontics were not invasive and they did the trick!
Any vet who advises pulling canines in already wary of

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Thanks for letting me know =) I think we need it on one side, the hole is very deep and holding the tooth in place. I hope our cost is similar and not thousands more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts