German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruz is 6 months and has lost a good many teeth with no problems. I haven't been able to get to his teeth brushing this week due to working double shifts. I noticed tonight that his upper fang on one side has the baby tooth stuck behind the new fang growing in. The new tooth seems to be pushing the baby tooth directly backwards and is butted up to the backside of the new tooth. It seems to be in there pretty solid. His gums in that area appear to be normal and not inflamed or swollen........yet. My question is has anyone had this happen with the dog and will the new adult tooth eventually push the baby tooth out? Or will this baby tooth need to be removed by a vet?:help:

·
Registered
194 Posts
my girl is about the same age and as far as i can tell she has lost all her teeth besides a molar and her lower left canine. the adult tooth is pushing the baby tooth directly outwards and it looks very uncomfortable. She is going in next week to be spayed and they will pull any remaining teeth at that time. Im sure over time your boys tooth would fall out but my vet mentioned under certain circumstances if can also cause bite issues. I wouldnt worry about it right now if you think it just started occurring I would give it another week or so and assess again and if you notice distress or inflammation take him in.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Tuke's upper k9s did this and they came out on their own, however if it goes on too long its best to have your vet check them out.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about getting the tug rope out and playing with him to see if this would loosen the tooth enough to get it on its way out. I had a couple of his teeth come out while playing tug with him.

I'll do a wait and see then and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news! The tooth is out! I got him in a tugging war with the tug rope and it popped loose. About 15 minutes later, I worked it out without freaking him out too much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts