German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusti got a bump on her face so when she went for her prolotherapy treatment, I had the vet look at it. He thought her tooth looked good but it could be infected so he gave her some antibiotics. After 4 days it didn't look any better so I took her to her regular vet and they said the same thing. They changed her antibiotics to a broad sprectrum one. That was on Monday and I still haven't noticed any improvements at all. Should I go ahead and get dental xrays or keep waiting? I hope she doesn't have to have it removed. Is there any other things it could be? She doesn't seem to be in any pain and eats very well. At her regular vet, they did blood work and it all came back normal.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Since Belinda is eating well, her bloodwork is normal, and she is not in any discomfort, I would wait until 3 days after the antibiotics are used up to give the treatment enough time providing that the bump does not get any worse. If it gets worse or Belinda seems to be hurting, then I would check with the vet sooner. It is possible it could be something other than a tooth abscess, like even a bug bite.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Unless they do an open and drain on the abcess, it can take a while for the antibiotics to work, at least that's how I understand it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I will try to wait. I just thought I would see a quicker response. Is an open and drain something they can do without surgery?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I feel for the dog..right now I have a major tooth ache/infection and I'm in lots of pain. Its been a day and a half and I still have pain:( I hope that she isn't in pain. I'm taking lots of over the counter pain meds, that aren't helping either. I can't imagine a dogs having a tooth ache/infection is much different from a person. Hope she gets well soon.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Llombardo. Sorry your tooth hurts. Rusti doesn't act like she is in any pain what so ever. She is playing and eating just like normal. It makes me suspicious that it isn't even a tooth problem but not sure what else it could be. I just hope the antibiotics are helping her.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Thanks Llombardo. Sorry your tooth hurts. Rusti doesn't act like she is in any pain what so ever. She is playing and eating just like normal. It makes me suspicious that it isn't even a tooth problem but not sure what else it could be. I just hope the antibiotics are helping her.

Maybe its a spider or bug bite? My cats face swells up everytime he gets bit and yet he still kills the spiders any chance he gets..

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Yeah, it could be something else, but when Zoey collided with Ranger and completely broke the back off her lower left canine, exposing the pulp and nerve she didn't even flinch and wanted to keep playing fetch so I'm not too sure pain is the best indicator. I hope whatever it is, it clears up soon.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually thought that at first and had her on Benedryl but when it didn't get better I got worried. I would think if it was a bite that it would be better by now and that the vets would be able to tell me if it was a bite. I think I will call around and see if I can find someone in town that can do dental xrays because the waiting is driving me crazy.

Maybe its a spider or bug bite? My cats face swells up everytime he gets bit and yet he still kills the spiders any chance he gets..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts