German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tooth extracted - any after-care tips?
Xena's tooth was removed yesterday and I don't think I've ever gotten a more enthusiastic greeting than when I came to pick her up. Psychologically, she seemed to be right back to her old self. I took her for a short stroll in the evening, then into PetSmart just so she could flirt with people and she almost seemed desperate for everyone to love on her, poor thing.

She's on antibiotics and pain meds, and obviously won't be eating anything hard for the next week. She's only pooped once since I picked her up yesterday afternoon - not surprising, since she hasn't eaten much. It was extremely loose, but I've read that's pretty common for the few days post-surgery.

So ... any personal recommendations on after care? What special things did you do for your dogs to make things better for them? I've read doggie ice cream helps to soothe their gums, but wouldn't anything cold just cause more pain?

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hope she recovers quick! I'm wondering the same thing actually. I'm taking mine in tomorrow for the vet to decide if we pull it of wait it out some more. I'll ask the vet tomorrow about recovery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no, what happened to yours? I don't know when it happened, but one of Xena's small teeth between the canines (upper jaw) split pretty much right up the middle. That made the rest of the tooth too weak to save.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Oh no, what happened to yours? I don't know when it happened, but one of Xena's small teeth between the canines (upper jaw) split pretty much right up the middle. That made the rest of the tooth too weak to save.
Back in the beginning of July one of her baby canine was not even loose with the adult one coming in.
20180711_162549_1534000409343.jpg

It broke a couple weeks ago and still isn't out. Taking her in to get vets advice since I'm worried with it being broken could ge4 infected. At least it is loose now.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Vet was able to pull it out with a napkin. Crisis averted!! Just gotta keep an eye on her gums in case there's fragments of the tooth still.

I would take your puppy back to the vet with some high reward treats. Let her hang out in the foyer or something. Then leave on a positive

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP, didn't the vet give you a handout with the after-care recommendations? If not, you could call the clinic.

Yes, the did. Continue antibiotics and pain meds, no soft foods for a week and danger signs to look out for. What I was looking for was recommendations on things I can do to make her more comfortable ... but she seems to be doing fine and had a great appetite today!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, the did. Continue antibiotics and pain meds, no soft foods for a week and danger signs to look out for. What I was looking for was recommendations on things I can do to make her more comfortable ... but she seems to be doing fine and had a great appetite today!

I'm guessing that was meant to say no hard foods for a week :wink2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts