German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I am JR
I am here as a new GSD owner/trainer.
I have not trained dogs in competition since I was a teen (Brittany Spaniel), though I did a lot of rehabilitation and rehoming work of E list dogs. I had a white GSD that may has well have been mine that lived at our house for 3 years. Definitely not had a young pup in a long time.

Our therapy dog and son's just assigned Service dog were poisoned last year and we are/were on looong waiting list. I did not have Sara insured yet. I decided the dog that would fit and found her . She will start her pretraining until she is eligible at 14+ months to be sent for advanced training.
She is from sturdy, square backed "old fashioned" (aka the kind i remember from childhood) stock.

her name...Melasa and she is with us for life.

Even if her drive peters out in advanced training and a more driven dog must be found. She can fulfill the behavioral therapy needs of my Autistic son :cool: as well as companion to my disabled mother.
It takes special breeds to take the weight of the work.

for now to wait ....for the puppy pad training ..the yipping nights of crate training... leash, obedience and beyond. And a summer of playtime with her boy.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Wecome! I have an old fashioned GSD. Your new pup to be, Melasa sounds great -hope you get to take her home soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, and welcome! I completely understand the excitement of your new adventure because I am on the same one. :) I'm a total newbie to dogs in general, to GSDs specifically, and have chosen the puppy that will become my service dog (seizure alert and balance assistance).

The folks here are wonderful to the uninformed like me and for someone like you who already has experience with dogs, you'll fit right in, I'm sure. :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Welcome. I understand your excitement. I couldn't wait until Raina was old enough to fly over from Germany - I had only pictures of her to look at until then. German Shepherds are the best. May those yipping nights not last long, and may your life be enriched just by knowing her. P.S. You came to the right place!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts