German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm technically not supposed to be walking without crutches but seeing my 9 month old pup laying around on the couch all day and only getting to run around outside when it's not pouring out. I let him out if it's a slight drizzle, I live in the PNW so if I only let him out when it was dry he'd only be allowed out to play once every three weeks or so haha :p .

But I bought him a harness when he was younger but he was too small for it and just never returned it because he pulled like crazy on a normal leash on his collar and I knew he would grow into it. We have tried everything to get him not to pull but I could only get him to work in the backyard and front yard with no distractions. I worked with him for a month and a half with a clicker and treats for loose leash training in the front and backyard and I thought he was ready considering he wasn't pulling and his recall was a lot better as well as his heel. Yeah how about not when we actually tried to walk 50 feet away from the house.

So I took him out on his harness today for the first time and it was completely different. He stuck to my side like glue and we only dealt with minimal distractions (which I mean he is a puppy and there's tons of smells!) And there was even a pitbull that is very territorial (barking and attacking the fence facing the street) and he completely ignored it when I told him to leave it as well as our neighbors aussie shepherd mix which when he was a normal lead he would pull and whine at trying to go play.

I'm excited though because this is a huge step to him being able to go hiking with us :D

Sorry for the long post just so excited to see my puppy learning, we haven't been able to do a formal training class yet due to unexpected paycuts with my job but as soon as we can he's going into a beginners class even though he knows his sit, stay, lay down, stand, come, high five, shake, relax (which is where he lays his head on his paw and his back end drops to the floor when laying), roll over, and leave it (for food, toys, and slowly learning with other animals).

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks :) I'm thinking of attempting to getting a PAL/ILP (since he's a rescue) and doing the CGC training. :) The general training offered at like a petsmart just isn't enough for what I want my pup to be able to do haha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts