German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With summer approaching, its getting time to start hitting the trails, and there's no other four-legged companion I'd rather have than Daisy, my 11 week old pup.

How soon can I start taking her out on short hikes, to get her used to trails?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i started slow with hiking and long walks. at 11 weeks
old we were walking 25 yards, maybe. when my dog
was 18 months or so we were walking 5 miles in the woods.
my dog could have gone farther but i don't i could. build
up slowly for long walks and hikes.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
At 11 weeks I was doing offlead walking in the woods behind my house. At that age their instinct keeps them close to you and is good to build the idea in their minds of walking together and is good bonding.

My circle is about .6 miles which is what we were doing then. Pup would run run run, lay down run run run lay down. I just let him figure out when to rest.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when my pup was 11 weeks old we walked home from
his puppy class. the class is 1 mile from our house. i was
walking at his pace. we were 30 yards from our house when he
plopped down. that scared me. he also developed an abrasion
on his paw because he wasn't use too the cement and asphalt.
untill that point he was on grass. to toughen his pads i started.
playing with him in our driveway on the asphalt.

At 11 weeks I was doing offlead walking in the woods behind my house. At that age their instinct keeps them close to you and is good to build the idea in their minds of walking together and is good bonding.

My circle is about .6 miles which is what we were doing then.

>>>>> Pup would run run run, lay down run run run lay down.<<<<<

I just let him figure out when to rest.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
When Chama was 12 weeks old she went on a 5 day backpacking trip. I lived in the foothills of the Sandia mountains and at 8 weeks she was walking 5 miles a day. She lived to be 14+ years old. She did end up with knee problems but that was when she was 12 and they just wore out from years of high impact exercise. :)

As long as you build up her strength gradually (so don't take her on a 5 mile hike if she's only used to walking a mile at a time) she should be just fine.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I started off leash hikes in the woods with Rocket when he was probably close to 4 months old. When he was 4.5 months old, we took him on an 8 mile hike in Montana, prepared to pack him if we had to. We took rest breaks and he was fine. Last July, at 13 months old, he went with us on a tough 10 mile each way backpacking trip. No water for the first 6 miles and it was 88 degrees--we packed water for him. Next two trips he packed his own stuff.

He is almost 22 months and can run 20-25 miles a week with me, and hike. My breeder always remarked upon his muscle development at a young age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts