German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zero is 5 months and i feed him 3-4 times a day, and he eats a lot and i know he is growing but he seems to look thin to me, are GSD's kind of gangaly while they grow? he looks goofy most of the time, and he will get thick then he gets taller and gets thing again. i just wanna make sure its just his normal growth.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
can you post pictures from above and the side? i dont know if you can really tell but does Zero move like he's got a screw loose somewhere? like Shasta?

i've had people tell me, flat out, that Shasta is too skinny. She eats like a horse!!! post pictures. Can better determine.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
zero looks the same! ill try to get a pic up, and you cant feel his ribs, i think im just not used to their rib structure being so thin.

i would say he's fine then. Shasta is perfectly healthy and looks like she's got a screw loose that makes her move like she's about to fall apart lol. its typical shepherd pup. Its normal. As long as the vet says he's healthy i'd say all is well. they have an awful lot of growing to do. Think gangly goofy teenager that will eventually mature and be one of the most beautiful people. If you like the Ugly Duckling turns into a Swan analogy better go with that! But still!!! post pics!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
No. He is not too skinny. Unfortunately, people are just used to seeing fat dogs.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
No. He is not too skinny. Unfortunately, people are just used to seeing fat dogs.

just wanted to make sure you know the videos are NOT of Zero but my Shasta. I know Shasta eats like a horse!! She even tries to raid the other dogs food bowls when they walk away after they're done. nature of the piggie!!! lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
We had always called our girl 2 dimensional!! Then all of a sudden she hit 17 months and started filling out - in the last month she has started looking like a completely different dog. She's still very lean, but is finally looking like we expected her to. My breeder and vet kept having to reassure me that she would eventually grow into herself, but it didn't stop me from worrying all along. As long as he's healthy and growing, for a lot of these puppies it seems to just be a waiting game for them to outgrow their teenage lankiness.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is 8 mos and weighs 80 lbs but is hitting a very gawky, long and lanky stage. My neighbor even called to politely ask if I was feeding him enough! You can see the outline of his rib cage and waist and hips but he has just enough covering over his ribs. So don't worry, as long as he's eating and having a slow steady weight gain he's fine. He has a lot of growing left to do and it will take him another year to fill into those feet

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have a 15 mth old female GSD and to me she is very skinny. Just had some blood work done on her and the vet said she is perfectly healthy. I can feel her ribs and of course she is still gangly looking. My last GSD was the same way...until she was about 2 yrs old and then she filled out. My current GSD is so active and always on the move. But I would rather have a dog more on the lean side than I would an overweight dog. Too many health concerns for them when they are overweight.

Kzoppa & mssandslinger - your puppies are absolutely adorable! :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I have a 15 mth old female GSD and to me she is very skinny. Just had some blood work done on her and the vet said she is perfectly healthy. I can feel her ribs and of course she is still gangly looking. My last GSD was the same way...until she was about 2 yrs old and then she filled out. My current GSD is so active and always on the move. But I would rather have a dog more on the lean side than I would an overweight dog. Too many health concerns for them when they are overweight.

Kzoppa & mssandslinger - your puppies are absolutely adorable! :D
thank you!!! Shasta is a PB brat through and through. lol. Seeing Zero almost makes me want a white shepherd... almost...

Hey! I love your video, your dogs are beautiful! He looks just fine to me. I don't think he needs to be any "fatter" so to speak. He looks perfect! Plus it's easier on their growing joints the lighter they are. But I'm sure you know that :) He looks great though.

Zero looks perfectly fine to me. Shasta to me looks too boney but Zero looks like he's pretty well balanced out and perfectly fine for his age.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.