German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GSD who is 8 weekd old. Is it too soon for her to ne stubborn already?? When i open the door to let her out she looks at me like i am nuts, and when i go get her she takes off :) She also loves to stop in the middle of a very short walk and just sit there! She is doing good training wise. she can already sit, lay down, and shake and i have only had her a week and a half. I am just curious if this is normal puppy behavior or if she is being a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good question. Rocco does the same thing sometimes when I'm walking him. He'll just stop and sit (sometimes lies down) on the sidewalk looks at me. I think he just enjoys to sit outside because he does it in the grass too when I take him out to potty.

I don't think it is too soon to be stubborn. He got Rocco at 10 wks and he was already stubborn.

·
Super Moderator
32,016 Posts
I have a GSD who is 8 weekd old. Is it too soon for her to be stubborn already??
Yes. It takes time to train a dog, a week and a half or even a couple of weeks isn't going to do it. A lot of what people refer to as stubbornness is simply a lack of training. Puppies don't walk well on leash because it's a skill they must learn, (and not an easy one either!), not because they don't want to obey you.

Rather than think of her as being defiant, try to think of how you can show her what you want her to do, so she's able to succeed. And be patient - at her age you really need to adjust your expectations so they're reasonable. Puppies have very short attention spans.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think, instead of thinking she's stubborn, try to think about what she must think of what you're doing.... Does she have any reason to think that going outside at a particular point is a good idea? Are you putting her out in a yard by herself? Puppies don't come knowing that going outdoors is a good thing--it's something they have to learn (and be convinced of, sometimes).

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Puppies are silly babies. They are fun, confused, learning new languages, and trying to please a whole new species.

It would almost be like us being dropped in the middle of China and totally understand everything that they do there, be able to get a Cab, or find a hotel, or order from a menu or find the bathroom. I would probably stand in the middle of the room and end up pottying myself because there is no way I'd be able to figure things out there! So yeah, I'd look like the stubborn, messy jerk, but in reality, I am just clueless and need to be shown carefully and with great patience, what to do. And we are the same species!

ENJOY! I love puppies so much, I try to foster a baby or two every year. I spend most of that time laughing and by the time they do start to out think me, they get adopted! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
I love my baby and i am not getting frustrated at her. I was just curious. She isnt being put out back alone, i have a pom that she hangs out with ;) She likes to test me somtimes but i love my little puppy... Or as my hubby calls her "my fuzzy PSEUDO SWEARING lol

·
Super Moderator
32,016 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
BrandiB;2391941 She isnt being put out back alone said:
She could be wanting to hang out with you instead of the Pom. Or she could be a little unsure of the POM and wants to stick with you instead. Try going out with her and when she potties throw her a party. Make outside a good thing to her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts