German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I am marginally concerned about my puppy. She just turned 5 months old this past week. I weighed her this morning and she only weighs 40 lbs. More than that, she LOOKS skinny.

Now, she's very active and playful/not lethargic at all. Lots of energy. She's on 4health, no grain puppy food. I'm feeding her 4 cups a day on 3 feedings. And honestly, that's about as much as I can get her to eat.

No issues with stool or anything like that.

So anything to be concerned about? (By the way, she has always been on the lean side)

Tom

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
you really can't go by the numbers to tell if a dog is thin or heavy.
young puppies will go through stages where they look REALLY skinny. That is because they are putting their energies into building their body, not adding weight/mass. They will grow taller/longer and, even though they have gained weight, look skinnier than before they started.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
your dog looks pretty alright , just about where she should be .
American show lines?
Not all GSD are going to be burly .
She's very pretty , looks healthy, and right for her type and age.
She'll mature and expand .

·
Registered
533 Posts
She looks great to me, though it's kind of hard to tell from the pic. My pup is about the same size as your's, maybe a little smaller, she was about 37lbs at 5 months. Like others have said they go thru stages where they look really lanky and skinny then they put on bulk/muscle mass when they are older. I've always heard it's better for them to be on the leaner side than heavier

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your dog looks pretty alright , just about where she should be .
American show lines?
Not all GSD are going to be burly .
She's very pretty , looks healthy, and right for her type and age.
She'll mature and expand .

Yes, she is American Show Line.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone. I know you can't just go by numbers... But she DOES LOOK thin. She's my baby and just want to make sure I'm doing right by her.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Looks perfect to me. You don't want weight on them while they are growing, it is added stress to their immature bones and joints. Plus they all go through gangly stages. I'd rather have a dog a little lean than over weight even as adults.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks perfect to me. You don't want weight on them while they are growing, it is added stress to their immature bones and joints. Plus they all go through gangly stages. I'd rather have a dog a little lean than over weight even as adults.

This!

I was really worried about mine being too skinny too, but as long as she is eating well and no medical issues, being skinnier is better than being on a chubbier side. As Atomic pointed out, the bones and joints still fragile as they mature, and any extra weight (especially when running/prancing) may make it harder on them. She'll fill in. Just keep an eye on her weight and make sure she isn't losing any.

Very pretty pup:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
He doesn't look bad at all, from that photo. she is definitely lean but there is nothing wrong with that, she's still growing she will be lanky for a while and will start to fill out around a year old usually, she's eating very well, 4 cups a day is good for a puppy, and she's got good energy, no reason for you to worry at all she is very healthy :)

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Young GSDs sometimes just are thin for a while. Don't worry about it. She doesn't seem unhealthy. If she starts losing weight, then you need to be concerned, especially if she is eating ok.

At 2, Babsy was a 58 pound stick of dynamite. Her last two ribs showed. I couldn't get weight on her. She is going to be 11 in August and weighs in her 70s and is a porky little thing. Her sister was taller, thin but not ribsy, and always held her weight better. She is also weighing in at nearly 80 pounds now, but about 65 at two years. Milla too, that first couple of years hovering around 50 pounds. Now she is weighing well into her sixties and looks awesome. But she is 7. Her sister was always shorter, thicker, heavier, and still is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts