German Shepherds Forum banner

Too old to train Schutzhund?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  hemicop 
#1 ·
Hi,
I want to train my 1 year old German shepherd mix to do Schutzhund. I know other breeds are capable of this sport but they are generally raised into it. He picks up any command I teach him. I really just want to give him something to do and have fun with. I understand that some dogs just don't have what it takes. So my question: is he too old to learn Schutzhund?
Any questions just ask!
Thanks,
Sierra

#7 ·
I sent you a pm. Not sure if you can get it.
You might give Nick Risden a call at K9 Motivation in Salvisa, Ky. I believe he is involved in Schutzhund, just not sure where he trains. His kennel is called Von Risden Haus, I believe.
He might be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

#8 ·
Not too old. I started my Rottie mix when she was 2 years old. I was looking for OB training that went beyond the pet OB that was being offered in the area, and needed to find constructive outlets for her energy and drives.

Even if your dog is not cut out for bite-work, you can start some prey-drive development training and work on getting the Obedience and Tracking portions of SChH. You will learn a ton, and have fun along the way.

#11 ·
It isn't the age so much as your dog's temperament and the time you have to go to training. We have a dobbie that at 7 years old just got her IPO1. Granted, she will retire with that title.

Try for your BH, which you have to earn before going further. It is good training for everday life as well as the sport.

#12 ·
Even if he isn't cut-out for the sport, I'd advise doing as much as you can in the club with him. I've never seen a dog hurt by Sch. training even if they never achieve a title.
Years ago we had an Irish Wolfhound in our club. The only thing the owner was interested in was the tracking---didn't even try anything else at first, then only obedience. Turns out, IIRC, she was the first of her breed to achieve her TD in tracking, so something must've worked right!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.