German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family likes to be spontaneous, and that has led to some discussions about a possible trip to the big NYC next weekend to see some family, for about 3-4 days. For us, that's about a 12 hour drive. Normally, we'd just up and go, but now we have the new puppy to consider, which has kept us from jumping as quickly at the opportunity.

The biggest pro I can think of is that while we are there she will be able to be exposed to a lot more people in a single day than she ever would be here in our small town. Con: Would it be too much for her?

So far she has been great in the car, but for a 12 hour trip I'd have to minimize her food intake to keep her from getting sick, would that be too much stress on her?

Another con: she's still not great at leash walking. I can't let her off leash up there like I do at home in my own yard. Would a harness be better than a collar to ensure she doesn't slip away? (Probably, yes, I guess it would be)

So, I know my questions are kind of vague, but I was just sort of hoping to get a general consensus from everyone. I mean, this is how our lifestyle is, she has to get used to it eventually, right? But is it too soon?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
How old is the pup?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I think it might be a bit to much for her but is also depends on the pup, if your going to be out hitting the streets on NYC with her for hours at a time that might cause a lot of stress its best to do socialization in small increments like 10 - 20 minuets. And yes she would get to meet a lot of people in a short amount of time, but to me it wouldnt be any different than if she saw the large amount of people over a longer period of time. But thats just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt, I hope some others chime in for you :) Where are the pictures of the little angel? lol

·
Registered
885 Posts
If it was either of my dogs when they were 9 weeks, I would jump on the opportunity. But I could tell you at 9 weeks exactly how each dog would react. (Ironhide, totally over stimulated, would need a run first, then she would be calmer and relaxed, no fear issues, social butterfly type; Gladiator, nothing phased him as a pup, genetic off switch, friendly but not social, perfect city dog)

Stay out of the dog parks....just IMO.

Has your dog been car sick before? If not, there is no reason to think she would be now.

If your dog is insecure, or fearful in any way, I would follow mandiah89's advice and just do short stints on sidestreets, while incorporating marker training and allowing the pup to take everything in, without forcing "meeting people" on her.

If the pup has shown she is otherwise bomb-proof, take her with you anywhere you can, leave her when you can't (crated), and enjoy your trip. Sounds like it could be a great learning experience for her.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If it was either of my dogs when they were 9 weeks, I would jump on the opportunity. But I could tell you at 9 weeks exactly how each dog would react. (Ironhide, totally over stimulated, would need a run first, then she would be calmer and relaxed, no fear issues, social butterfly type; Gladiator, nothing phased him as a pup, genetic off switch, friendly but not social, perfect city dog)

Stay out of the dog parks....just IMO.

Has your dog been car sick before? If not, there is no reason to think she would be now.

If your dog is insecure, or fearful in any way, I would follow mandiah89's advice and just do short stints on sidestreets, while incorporating marker training and allowing the pup to take everything in, without forcing "meeting people" on her.

If the pup has shown she is otherwise bomb-proof, take her with you anywhere you can, leave her when you can't (crated), and enjoy your trip. Sounds like it could be a great learning experience for her.
Not necessarily true. Penny Was fine in the car till about 11 weeks old and had been on several car trips with me and she was never sick, then all the sudden her body decided it didnt like the car and was car sick till about last week and she is fine again now so for about 8 weeks or so she was horridly car sick and would puke everytime, but before she was fine, and she is fine again, car sickness can come and go :)

Another thing, make sure she has all her shots before hitting the streets of NYC. If she has no fear issues right now she should be good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts