German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Sheba (11 weeks old, 23 lbs) had the runs yesterday, though otherwise seemed fine, but not much appetite. We gave her some canned pure pumpkin, as we had read somewhere that this will help. What we didn't stop to think about first, was just how much pumpkin to give her. Well, my wife gave her a 1/4 cup last night, which she inhaled, so we gave her a bit more, mixed in with kibble. This morning we decided to give her some more, so another 1/4-1/2 cup or so with kibble, and she ate it up. Then today I did some more reading up on the subject, (yeah, I know I should have done this first!) and it appears we may have gone way overboard with the pumpkin, as I am seeing correct amounts in terms of tsps or tbsps, not cups! Funny thing is, today her poops are fine, and she is back to eating heartily. So my question is, have we caused any harm with our getting carried away with the pumpkin?

Thanks,
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, ummm... seems there was a wee bit of miscommunication between the Missus and myself... What I had thought was a quarter to half a cup times two... was actually one whole cup times two! Holy #$&%! Anyway, she doesn't seem to be the worse for wear, and her poops look fantastic!! Who know what tomorrow will bring.
:surprise:
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
888 Posts
Shouldn't hurt her. Pumpkin has the ability to firm up or soften depending on what is needed. If she continues to have issue get her checked by your vet. Diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a young pup or be a symptom of something more serious like parvo, which is not 100% covered by the vaccine for it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldn't hurt her. Pumpkin has the ability to firm up or soften depending on what is needed. If she continues to have issue get her checked by your vet. Diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a young pup or be a symptom of something more serious like parvo, which is not 100% covered by the vaccine for it.
Thanks, everyone! I am happy to report that Sheba has made a very quick and full recovery. The massive dose of pumpkin has done its trick! Her poops are now perfectly normal as far as poops go, and she is right back to her old self, less than 24 hours later.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess that was a good lesson for next time she gets diarrhea. Just start with 1 cup and go from there. LOL Glad she is feeling better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts