German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I had Nico (9 months old in a few days :)) in the vet's office yesterday, and the subject of nutrition came up. I told her that I was feeding him a 40% protein food (Orijen) and she suggested I get him off that right away, and put him on about a 28% protein food. I spoke with another vet today, who didn't blink and eye at the 40% protein, just saying yes, he needs a lot of protein. Neither had ever heard of Orijen. I know a lot of people on here feed Orijen, and I know it is an excellent food. Is the "too much protein" theory just old-fashioned or is there any truth to it?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Old fashioned. The reason behind the "too much protein" is usually some studies done a long time ago, but they were done on dogs who already had kidney problems. So there is no relevance to healthy dogs, AND the studies are in question anyway for the results on the dogs with kidney impairment.

Someone posted this link recently in the same discussion
But My Vet Says Too Much Protein is Hard on My Dog’s Kidneys

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Also mind you, vets aren't dietitians. Many will suggest you feed foods like Iams and Science Diet or Beneful....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The most training most vets recieve on nutrition is FOUR HOURS. And that is usually a seminar done by Hills or other food only found at a vets office. I have never heard anything good about 'vet' food. They recieve money to sell it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
another of the large studies propogating this myth was done using rodents as the subjects and corn gluten meal as the protein source.

high protein from animal sources is what dogs were designed to eat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses! I will add this - the vet with the old fashioned opinion did add that she is not a nutritionist, and for me to ask around about the protein. At least she didn't try to push Science Diet or Purina on me. We are staying on the Orijen :)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The most training most vets recieve on nutrition is FOUR HOURS. And that is usually a seminar done by Hills or other food only found at a vets office. I have never heard anything good about 'vet' food. They recieve money to sell it.
Thats not true, it is a gross exaggeration.

At Purdue Veterinary School vet students are only required to complete one semester of nutrition education though. And in the big picture, that is not enough. Science Diet also comes in and offers the food at the price of 25 cents a lb to vet students.

But exaggerating on the truth just makes you less credible.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thats ok, I`ll be like the rag magazines. Believed by no one bought by most.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts