German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomarrow I'll be leaving for New Mexico to hopefully buy a new car, the drive is 5 hours one way. I'll be leaving around 6 in the morning, the BF will be leaving around 10 or 11 and won't be back til midnight or so. I'm hoping to be back around 9 or 10. This means Blitz will be alone for 11 or so hours.

I can try to get a neighbor to come let him out but he may be unavailable.

So my question is, is this two much time to expect him to hold it?

He's about 6 years old, and won't be crated inside the house (he can be trusted).

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
That is a very long stretch of time. I would take him with me!
If you do leave him, he will probably be fine, but his legs will be crossed(as well as his attitude) when you return.
Don't get mad if he goes a bit nuts while left for that long. It won't be his fault.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
You would know him best, I've had dogs go 10 or 11 hours during the night but that is all sleeping.

Great name by the way!! Our little girl is named Blitz as well!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
My adults have done it in the past in a pinch, when I got caught at work with no other choice. But it's not really something you want to do on purpose. I would arrange ahead of time for someone to come let him out.

I agree with taking him with you. If he's a good car dog he'll enjoy the trip! I have several that love car trips and will load up and settle in for the ride.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take him but he would have to be left in the car that I'm trading in while I haggle and sign papers. Ill see if my neighbor can come over, I of course wouldn't be upset with an accident

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Blitz may be good luck while you haggle...? Don't let that salesman get away with anything!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
How long does he normally go for, at night and stuff? My dogs would be fine with that amount of time, as long as they were let out before I left. They certainly wouldn't be happy about it but they could hold it without incident.

Maybe the bf can take him for a walk before he leaves?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plan is that he's going to take him out on a walk to poo and empty his bladder right before he leaves (he only has about one poo a day). There has been one other time when I was stuck in Phoenix and he had to hold it for 10 to 11 hours until I got home. At night he typically holds it 8 to 9 hours.

I've set up an emergency plan with a friend that if I absolutely need him (as in it's taking longer than expected), he'll come over to let him out, though he's a busy man.

If all works out and it's a quick sell, he'll only have to be alone for 8 or so hours and then we'll take a drive in the new car. :)

This isn't an ideal situation, but the car is a steal, and it just happened to coincide with when the bf had to go to Phoenix, so it is what it is.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Can your neighbor or friend come in to feed him? That would be my biggest concern (and probably his too!) especially if you end up leaving Abq later than you think you're going to.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I'll leave some instructions as to how much and what not. He will get fed in the morning as well.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I remember one time, we went camping and thought we let all the dogs outside. My mom's (now) ex-husband had a shop they had access to via doggie door with air conditioning, so it we just locked them out of the house while we left. We accidentally locked Sania inside. We left on a Friday morning and came back Sunday night. She didn't have an accident in the house, but she plowed us down trying to get outside so she could pee. She was getting water from the toilet. Poor baby didn't have any food though. :(

Point is, it depends. I wouldn't expect your dog to hold it for three days though. :eek:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember one time, we went camping and thought we let all the dogs outside. My mom's (now) ex-husband had a shop they had access to via doggie door with air conditioning, so it we just locked them out of the house while we left. We accidentally locked Sania inside. We left on a Friday morning and came back Sunday night. She didn't have an accident in the house, but she plowed us down trying to get outside so she could pee. She was getting water from the toilet. Poor baby didn't have any food though. :(

Point is, it depends. I wouldn't expect your dog to hold it for three days though. :eek:

:eek: That is a long time, if that were me *I* certainly wouldn't have held it. It shouldn't be too long I hope, though I'll let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I wouldn't have held it. Even if she were to have an accident, nobody would have gotten mad at her. Can't blame her for us locking her in the house for three days.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would have almost preferred she did have an accident instead of holding it for days. Couldn't have been comfortable.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
When Doerak experience his first snow storm with deep snow, he wouldn't pee or poop. I counted the hours before he peed and, finally, he peed on his girlfriends driveway 44 hours later. I made him sleep in the kitchen that whole time in case he had an accident. I wouldn't do it on purpose.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well ended up taking longer than I thought, so I called my friend and he let him out for me.

Though I did buy the car after extensive negotiations.
Blitz with "his" new car-2003 5 speed Rav4.

They match. :)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
That's funny! That's what kind of car we're looking at. And we've got our eye on an 03, 5sp manual AWD. But I bet that one has no rust.

How many miles and what did you pay for it?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This one is a 5 speed manual AWD, 2003. It's got 90,000 miles on it (but it's a Toyota-they run forever). Asking price was 10,000- I paid 65,000 with my trade in of a Chevy Cavalier.

I want to say it's a blast to drive, nice pick up, smooth shift, throttle on mine is a little sloppy, but it'll be fixed as soon as I tighten the throttle cable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you ever though about using a pet-sitter? Sounds a little silly, i know. But if you can find one that you trust, and your dogs like, they can be a life saver.

The one i use only changes $20 for 30 minutes. That's for all three dogs!. She stops by in the time frame i give her, lets the dogs out, feeds them, gives the cat her medicine, picks up poo, and puts them back up. Then she text's me to let me know how they did.

It's re-assure knowing that there is someone to take care of them if i can't get there in time. My vet had actually recommended her because my cat has seizures and has to have her medicine on time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts