German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always given my 11yr old a 1000mg fish oil capsule with his food. 4 months ago, I switch him over to Acana Fish formula( he developed ear infections after years of feeding Innova Adult) and he's doing well on it, but recently I've noticed some excess gas and his anal glands are "leaking". He's never had a problem with gas or anal glands. Do you think too much Omega 3 from the fish oil capsule and fish food could be causing the problems? Perhaps I'll change him over to the Grasslands just for variety and see how he does.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Fish oil and fish protein are not the same thing.
Fish flesh is not ideal for GSD -- goes against their heritage .
The 6 Fish is ideal for Portuguese Water Dogs, Labs, Golden Retrievers, Newfs , Tollers , Northern Breeds - huskies , malamutes etc. ,

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
There's a whole lot more to kibble than the main proteins. On the fistula list, many GSDs do the best on a fish based kibble.

I've never used a fish-based kibble, but my boy gets anal gland problems with omega-3 supplements.

It could be the kibble or the supplements causing the problems. If he has been fine on the supplements, I would suspect the kibble change to be the culprit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback. I too thought that perhaps excess Omega 3 may be the culprit. Like I mentioned, he hasn't had any problems with gas and anal glands until the switch to fish. Mentioned it to my vet, who didn't think it was diet or supplement related but rather a postural problem (thus anal glands not getting fully expressed) due to age and suspected DM. Though it may be the case, my inclination is rather the diet since he is also experiencing excess gas and to me atleast he postures as he always has when he goes to the bathroom.

He loves the fish, but I'll definitely mix it up with some Grasslands or some home cooked meals. Another question for those of you supplement with Vitamin E... how much do you give? Right now I give 400IU, but was thinking to go up to 800IU for the DM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts