German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mei has gotten a lot better about not jumping on us when we get home but she'll still cry or whine whatever this GSD jibber jabber is lol.

Anyone else's dogs do this? She's only 10 months almost 11. Will this stop as she gets older? Maybe become indifferent when I get home?

Here's a short video of what I'm talking about. It USED to be a lot worse. Jumping all over tail hitting things. I used to think she's going to hurt herself one of these days mainly because the floor downstairs is slick for her.

https://youtu.be/nf29axDxvnA

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
NO jumping just jibber.... no piddling..... You just have an excited dog so you just need to correct mei and I would do that by standing still and do not touch her. I would have my I AM PISSED FACE and go from there. If I feel I need to say something I will. It's funny because my girl gets crazy like that when I head to go outside to the garage door. I have to tell her to be nice and no barking and I have to say it firm. When I hit the garage opener she loves to let out this piercing squeaking yip so I must be firm when I say no barking. If she does it she gets HUGE praise. Sometimes I go back inside to do it over cuz I was not happy at all. It's a play by play but we have to nip it in the bud before they go into physico....

·
Registered
139 Posts
You get what you pet.

If she is amped, running around like a crazy dog, and you pet her, she sees it as being praised for doing a good job, so she will continue doing this. You should only pet her when she is being good. Then she will associate being calm, with praise. Get her to sit and be still, for just one second, then pet her and praise her. When she stands up, stop petting, and get her to sit again. After she gets the 1 second down, then try for 2 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
I'm greeted by three happy dogs upon my return.I completely ignore them and they settle down in a few seconds.Only then do they get a "Hey Guys " and a little scratch behind the ears.Very low key.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well I don't think petting and whining back at her is the best way to go about dealing with the behavior, unless you like it.;)

If she gets excited when you get home, then crate before you leave and then don't let her out until you are ready to deal with her. If you don't want to crate then I'd just throw food on the floor, you are not rewarding the behavior you are just interrupting it and giving her something else to do, find the food on the floor. After a number of repetitions she will start expect you to throw food and stop jumping up, then you can start asking for a behavior you do want, like sit, down, go to your place and reward that. Decide upon and reinforce a behavior your do want rather than on "making her stop doing X" because not doing something isn't really a behavior.

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
Saw the problem at :01
You’re reinforcing the behavior big time by touching and talking to her.
When I walk in the house I go thru the mail, use the rest room, change clothes, put on hot water for tea.... all before I even say hi or acknowledge my boys..... since the beginning.
In addition to putting them in the hall behind a baby gate - I instruct all of my company to do the same.... when I allow the dogs to join us (anywhere from 5 mins to an hour), I give them bones or something else to do so they aren’t all in people’s face.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome advice everyone, thanks!. I especially like the mentioning of tossing kibble on the ground. I'm totally going to do that.

Like I said the jumping around goin nuts has stopped for a while. It's the sounds she's making is what I was questioning and if its something that will go away as she matures. I will definitely give the ignoring her thing. And not pet her or rub her belly when she's makin that noise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Dogma and Fodder got it right with ignoring your pup until it settles. Worked for a friend's dog who was a super barker towards visitors. I have to do this too cuz my dog is 3 and acts like a jumpy puppy when I come home if she's not crated. Better to curtail the behavior now than try to correct it when your dog is an adult.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the ignoring thing just now when I got home. I didn't even make eye contact. She was just walking around my feet sniffing/licking my hand, which I moved away, as I got into the kitchen.

I pulled the eggs out of the grocery sack and she immediately sat, without a command lol. She loves eggs. I put the egg in her food then when she was distracted eating I distracted her by praising and petting but she seemed more interested in the food lol.

She's done eating so now petting and acknowledging her. The ignoring thing works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts