German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here on long island it got to 100 degrees .. i was afraid to walk my g.s.d. how hot does it get beforew you say no to the exercise ????

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I wouldn't walk my dogs on hot surfaces. This heatwave(90's+) is dangerous and the dogs aren't wearing flipflops to protect their pads. Let alone the extreme temps. Very early morning or late night would be the only time I'd take them on a street or sidewalk. Grassy surfaces should be fine as long as they can drink cool water(not ice cold) and take a break from the sun. Black coats heat up, so if this is a black dog, not in the sun.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Maybe it's time to look into getting a treadmill. Max gets on ours (indoors, of course) during the mid-day heat, walks and runs outside only very early and at night these hot days.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Masi is bouncing off the walls, but it is way to hot to be doing to much outside here in CT..I finally went out and sat with them for about 30 minutes, let them do their own thing, they were sure ready to come back in the AC !

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I let the pups out for a bit, they run for about 5 minutes and thats it, way too hot, of course they dont under stand

·
Registered
129 Posts
We have been walking at 5:30 a.m. and it is fine then. By 8:00 a.m. it is too hot! We'll have to see what tomorrow holds, as the heatwave getting more intense.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
other than walking on concrete or similar surfaces, why can't a GSD go out for a walk in the hot weather? Do they call off herding when it gets hot, or police work (man or beast!), it seems that the dogs worked in Vietnam during the hot weather?

Sure you take care just like for people but c'mon a GSD should be able to do something even when it gets hot.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ava is going insane bouncing off the walls. Causing me to want to bash my head in. We have a very long hallway so I have been tossing the ball back and forth for her to fetch. It's helping a little bit.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
other than walking on concrete or similar surfaces, why can't a GSD go out for a walk in the hot weather? Do they call off herding when it gets hot, or police work (man or beast!), it seems that the dogs worked in Vietnam during the hot weather?

Sure you take care just like for people but c'mon a GSD should be able to do something even when it gets hot.
Well how many of the barracks had/have AC? The dogs were conditioned to be in those extreme temps. These days dogs are in and out of the AC so the heat feels worse. Personally I love the warmth, as long as I have shade and a cool drink. Hyperthermia is real and serious. Just because these are working dogs, doesn't mean they can't overheat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dogs cannot sweat to cool themselves off like we do, they pant to cool off and when it is 95 plus..( here in jersey today it got over 100 degrees) it is inhumane to think running dogs in safe.
They will also burn there pads on concrete and blacktop.
It is driving me and Raven crazy right now but I will only walk her very very early in the morning or at night.

I cannot wait till fall....lolol

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Just takes planning... go early or go late. And find a location that's shaded as well as the water situation!

It's amazing how just the shade from a wooded path makes it bearable. I went out today just after 3 pm, and it was around 100 in the Poconos. But my girls did fine, walked about 1.5 miles, played a bit of Chuckit in the shaded part of the picnic area, and had alot of vists to lay in the cold creek nearby (the dogs, not me!).

If you and your dogs are used to the heat, and not just in a AC, then they will do fine with some common sense on our part.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
agree ^^^^^

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Of course the dogs have to acclimate themselves just like people but once they do, we ought to remember these are supposed to be "Working Dogs", not couch potatoes. give them cool water and some shade now and then and the dogs will be fine, (maybe not the people who I suspect in many cases are the real reason that "It's too hot out for the dogs".

Sure is common in the group of GSD owners that I belong to that get together every sat morning at 11 am - many cases there of "it's too hot for Fido!".

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
It was 99 when I left work. Still well over 90 in the country at our house. I took her to the pond so she wasn't driving everyone nuts from inactivity!

·
Registered
66 Posts
In this type of heat, I am still able to play hard with my dogs in the backyard, as long as I get out the kiddie pool. Even better is in the river at my in-laws, or an actual pool they can swim in. Works for us. They get the kiddie pool water dirty pretty fast, though. :p

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
It is way too hot to walk here today too, but tonight it cooled off enough that I walked Wolfie to the ocean to swim. Hubby went out and bought him a kiddie pool, so he played in that today to burn off some of the energy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My Eva, a very tough two-year old GSD female, developed a blister on each of the big pads on each foot (four blisters total) and I never suspected it. Was last week, hot in VA and we went on our normal afternoon walk around 4pm. A little over a mile and the same walk we take all the time. I took her to my dad's the next day and we flyfished and played with the other dogs in the country, and it wasn't until about 30+ hours after the walk that she began a little limp. Looked at her pads and saw that the blisters had just popped and she was walking on that red, raw skin under a blister. Took a few days off, carried her outside a few times and the blisters healed quickly. A little neosporin didn't hurt. Anyway, the point is I thought that she was tough as nails as she is not a pampered GSD, she gets around in the outside world - and the blisters were a surprise to me. Just be mindful of where you're walking your dog, the black asphalt paths are extremely hot in the afternoon, concrete sidewalks are much cooler. Choose a path where you encounter less asphalt and more sidewalk and grass.

John
N.Va - middle of a heat wave!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Where I live it's pretty hot in the summer but this spring we have had many days that with the heat index it is well over 100....just deal with it the best you can....go out very early at day break and in the evenings...in the south we LIVE in a heat wave. Just use common sense and watch closely...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts