German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning I bring the dog out, feed her, then walk her etc.

She then has a snooze but has to be around me then all the time which I find exhausting and annoying.

Just to give you an example I went up to the kitchen a short while ago and she was lying there doing nothing. She then went and got a chew toy and started chewing away and sat near the door (which she always does) so she would know when I'm leaving.

Once I left I looked in the window and she was no longer chewing but just waiting for me to come back....I've had to bring her down to the room with me now and she is chewing again.

She is about 4.5 months.

Thanks.:mad:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
GSD's are velcro dogs, they will follow you around the house as it's part of their nature to stay with pack and protect.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah, they want to be with you all of the time. We have a baby gate blocking her hall. My girl will jump it to get to me or wait right at the gate waiting for me. Lately, she even joins me in the bathroom during my morning routine, along with the cat who waits for me for his morning brushing. I get no privacy! Even when I sit on the sofa, she likes to touch me while sitting next to me. She watches me to anticipate my next move.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Try to enjoy it. It's part of owning a GSD.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Tessa has even learned how to open the bathroom door to be close to me...:blush:...hopefully she'll keep this trick for when we have no guests in the house...

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's one of the traits I love!

My 7 1/2 month old female, Moose, is always near me. If I move, she moves.

Even out in the yard, she always stays where she can see me.

I wouldn't want it any other way!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
It's the perfect pup and what I want in a GSD.

You are lucky.

Did you get to start up dog classes yet so you can continue to appreciate what a smart dog you have and a lucky owner you are!!!

:)

·
Super Moderator
32,543 Posts
Why is that exhausting and annoying? :thinking: From what you describe she's not constantly pestering you for attention, she's just hanging out near you, entertaining herself. Sounds perfect!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
This is a classic GSD trait:)

I have a constant shadow...my husband says stalker.

My boy sits outside the shower door and waits for me every morning. Comes and checks on me in the middle of the night, just a quick peek, knows the time I will be home and sits there and waits...oh the list goes on.

I personally love this trait about this breed, they are very loyal, a true companion ready to do what we ask them.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
There are people who would kill for this!

GSDs are clingy...they are also refered to as Velcro Dogs. When they get older, they will start giving you more space, but they are happiest when within eye-shot of their humans.

I love my Velcro Pup. As a puppy, he followed me everywhere and it made training a breeze! Please don't be upset at the pup for doing exactly what he's supposed to do.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I can hardly wait to get my puppy home (5 more weeks bleh). However, I'm already a professional .. my 13 year old dog has always accompanied me everywhere. I didn't even know people still went to the restroom by themselve! I figured everyone had doggy (and kitty) shadows that went everywhere. When I move from room to room, my dog AND cat both go. And puppy will make three!

·
Registered
88 Posts
My Mieka is the same way and I love it! every time I wake up to get a late night glass of milk she wakes up and comes with me, and I give her a treat every time just for coming because I want her to know that's what I want her to do and wouldn't have it another way!

Why is that exhausting and annoying? :thinking: From what you describe she's not constantly pestering you for attention, she's just hanging out near you, entertaining herself. Sounds perfect!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
It's hard to believe that someone wouldn't do prior research before a purchase. That's not just for dogs.

You wouldn't buy a car or truck without researching them. A computer? DVD player? Cell phone?

If you know nothing about these dogs you're in for a real eye opener. At least you knew enough to end up here.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
No, you are the pack leader and where you go the pack follows.

Perfectly normal for this breed. I wouldn't want it any other way.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Then you will have to teach her.

For a novice I would recommend some of the You Tube videos using the clicker training method.

It's truly fascinating to watch these dogs respond to this.

I used it to train Lisl to heel and come. I have other ways of teaching different commands, but using the clicker for heel and come was just too easy.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Ok, now that I know this I will embrace it. I just thought it was a problem with seperation anxiety.
Use it to your advantage. Give her a job. When you are picking up the living room, have her carry something for you. When you're doing laundry, get her to carry a towel. Teach her to shut a door. Teach her to turn on/off a light.

Use your imagination. Be patient. You'll think of all sorts of useful things that will be helpful to you as well as make her feel good about having a job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts