German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just put a deposit on my new puppy. I would like to know the top 3 best puppy food for it. I have been researching it for a day or two but I am completely overwhelmed. My breeder feeds taste of the wild. I had read that taste of the wild is to high in calcium and something about protien too. I also read that they had a recall too which concerns me. I also read people will feed blue Buffalo, but they had a recall as well. I heard that oljey is really good but would like other options as well. Should I scratch totw off my list because they had a recall before? I only want the best for my new pup.

Thanks!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I was very pleased with Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold and a lot here have fed it. No recalls, family business for long time, impressive HACCP program (qualty assurance)

Others have been very pleased with Orijen

Really, what is BEST is what you decide on based on evaluating the things that are important to you and how it works with your dog.

TOTW is made by Diamond and has a lot of recalls but it is also a huge company with many different manufacturing locations..You start getting into the very big companies and you may find the ocassional recall due to the sheer volume of product they manufacture (e.g., 1% of 1000 is 10 but 1% of 100 is 1 ). They do have a puppy formula which is probably what the breeder feeds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
We feed Innova LBP. I know they just had a recall. And that sucks. But the fact of the matter is that my puppy was having horrible digestion issues on other foods before we switched to Innova. Now on Innova, no digestion issues, great, solid poops and when he does eat something funny, his system isn't messed up for days and goes right back to normal. So, while I can understand you wanting the very best, the very best for your puppy may be different than what is best for someone else's so don't get too hung up on what other people do. Try out what you think is best, but know that you might have to switch to something else if it doesn't work for your dog.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree with Nancy, Delgado ate Fromm Gold LBP and did very well on it. Their customer service is personalized and the company itself has a great reputation. [URL]http://frommfamily.com/[/URL] is their website if you want to read more about them.

Also Orijen has a good reputation as well, Fromm and Orijen are my top two personally. However the best food is the one your dog does best on for sure, what works for one might not work for another.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona eats Avoderm, adult food. As soon as I get thru the three bags I have, it is back to raw. Have you considered a raw diet?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am leaning towards Fromm as it is a bit cheaper the Orijen and has really great reviews and its USA made and inspected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts