German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I can't find much information on tonsillectomy in dogs.. So just thought I would ask if any one out there had same issue? My 10month old gsd yesterday had a stick thrown to him. And it hit his soft palate creating a wound and teared off his left tonsil (doctor had to remove it).. Just wanted to know if anyone had gone thru with it.. He seems to be super down... Doctor said to keep feeding kibbles... And resume. Normal.activities but I don't feel comfortable. Has any one had dogs that had a tonsillectomy? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I don't know anything about canine tonsillectomy. If my dog had a mouth/throat injury or surgery I would be feeding a soft easy to swallow diet for a few days to a week at least. His mouth is probably sore and I bet it hurts him to swallow.
Maybe some canned food or soak his kibble in water or broth to soften it and make eating easier until he heals.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Also he's only a day post surgery. Let him have a day of rest. Go easy and let him recover fully from the anesthesia. He's been through a lot.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
People eat soft food after a tonsillectomy

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
You can always do with the kibble what we do for mega-E dogs: add water and put it in the blender to make a "kibble shake". That way it's the same nutrition he's used to -- so no digestive upset with a food change.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Agree, soft food. Keep an eye on water intake. Make sure your pup doesn't get dehydrated. I would limit his activities for a day or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts