German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that Bear has a couple of black patches towards the back of his tongue. Ive heard this mentioned before on a few threads but cant seem to dig them up. Im just curious as to what they are, or where they came from, he never had them as a puppy, they just sorta appeared one day! Is it part of a certain line in breeding, or a history to them?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
While I was growing up, my dad always said it was a sign of German bloodlines. I guess it's not true. lol.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well he is from german bloodlines, DHau if that helps your arguement at all... LOL

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
LOL I know of a Golden with a spot like that. When I was growing up, people would say that because of the spot "it has to have Chow in it"! Which is NOT TRUE!! LOL

Anyhow, the lady with the Golden and I were talking about the black spots one day, because my Katie has one too on the front of her tongue. I was saying, "What is that?! She never had one as a puppy!" and she said, "OH! That's ok! My [Golden] breeder told me it is a sign of intelligence!" LOL OK. So that's not true, either. But I like that reason best! LOL

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I too was wondering about what those black dots are ... Cooper has them. Never had them as a baby just the older he gets he tends to get a few more of them. And, when I say "old" he's not really old ... he will be 3 end of March.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Cooper also has a black spot on his tongue. It showed up about a month ago. I once heard the "has to be part chow" before too. I like the "sign of intelligence."

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I was told that I was ripped off because Dante was obviously Chow/Malamute/GSD and not a purebred.
Black spot on the tongue and sable colored.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My Kenya has a black tongue spot about the size of a silver dollar. She is as pure as purebreds come. My mutt on the other hand has a purplish tongue, solid purple except for a few pinkish spots on the edges, and black gums.

The black spots are just a birthmark/beauty mark. I have some moles/beauty marks...doesn't make me any less Dutch or any less human!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I too have gotten the "he has some Chow in him" ... I was at the Vet with him one afternoon and this lady said that to me, I very nicely said No, he's all Golden. She stood there and argued with me ... I couldn't believe it!! The people at the Vet finally interjected and told the lady that he's purebred Golden Retriever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts