German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take my baby girl, Dixie, to the vet to be spayed tomorrow morning. I have to drop her off between 8 am and 9 am, and I'm so anxious and nervous. I ready for it to just be over so I can have my baby back home, healing. But I'm nervous about leaving her... I'm afraid she's gonna think I've abandoned her(she's had 2 people do that to her before I got her). I have to leave her overnight and this is only the 4th times she'll be away from me overnight since I've had her(4 months)... I know it's a routine surgery, but I'm freaking out on the inside(trying to remain calm for her)........

·
Registered
728 Posts
Aww I'm sorry! I know how you feel, when I left my pom, Beau, to be neutered I was a basket case! And when Remi goes in I'll be so upset! I guess the only consolation is that she'll only be afraid or nervous for a little while, and then she'll be knocked out and so tried that she won't even know where she is, and she'll be home before you know it.

The important part, as hard as it is, is to act like everything is totally fine and normal, be happy and confident, so she doesn't pick up on anything. She will know if you're faking it, so really try and mellow out tomorrow.

Good luck to you and Dixie, and give her a recover soon kiss from Rem and me!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! :)

When I dropped her off this morning she didn't even care when I was leaving.... I cried watching her practically drag the vet tech down the hall away from me...... And worse when I had to walk out with just her leash, collar, and harness... And It's been so weird to not have my girl here.... Just walking by her stuff when I go to take the others out and grabbing the puppy food bag out of habit to feed her.... But when I talked to the vet she said that from the time Dixie woke up she just wanted to play with everyone, so that's a good sign.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Will be saying a prayer for a quick and speedy recovery for your girl. :)

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Hope surgery went well!!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It's great that she's so comfortable there and not afraid to be without you, but she'll be all smiles and wags when she sees you tomorrow! Hope she enjoys all the spoiling I know you're going to give her

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank y'all! :) I'm so ready to have my little, wiggly, nubby butt home. ~lol~

·
Registered
316 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I took Abby in for her spay in December.
It was all a big adventure for her. New people to see.

It was very hard waiting. When I picked her up that afternoon she
was pretty groggy. When we got home she promptly threw up
in the living room. She was very subdued and generally miserable
the first night. The next day we lounged around and cuddled on the
floor a lot. After a couple of days she was more herself.

BUT...on the morning of the 5th day I found a lot of blood in her
bed and she was bleeding from the incision. I rushed her to the vet
and they ended up keeping her in the hospital for 3 days. I about
went crazy.

Everything turned out OK. The swelling and bleeding was from
a suture reaction. Just took longer to heal up.

The important thing is to keep your girl calm as much as you can.
Absolutely no running or jumping for 10 days or so. It will be difficult
once she starts feeling better. Watch the incision for signs of swelling
or redness. A little swelling and bruising would be normal but any
pronounced swelling or redness is cause for concern.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Healing woofs from Abby and me...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. I would be a wreck! Dixie's been herself ALL day, nothing different about her at all. ~lol~

UPDATE:
I picked Dixie up around 11 this morning(my grandma couldn't get me there any earlier). She dragged the vet tech down the hall all the way to me. ~lol~ I was so happy to see her, and obviously she was to see me too! :) And another tech that had been working with her said, "Oh, she's who you're picking up! You can't have her back." (jokingly of course) ~lol~ She got the new nickname of "The little bear" from them. The whole way home she slept in the back seat with her blanket, but once we got home she wanted to run around and play, but obviously isn't allowed..... So I've had her penned in the exercise pen and Jazz's kennel and she's been really good, leaving her incision site alone, taking it easy, and being spoiled. ~lol~

And now she's laying in bed with me and Tippsy(I'm already getting ready for bed, it's been a long day).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Glad everything went well and your girl is home.
Hope she recuperates quickly. And dont forget to
spoil her rotten...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank y'all! :D She slept really well last night. Didn't even wake me once to go out. And she's getting sooooo spoiled. ~lol~ But it's so hard to keep her calm and not running around. ALL she wants to do is PLAY PLAY PLAY. And I feel bad keeping her penned up in her exercise pen and Jasper's kennel, or on leash, but I guess it's necessary... :/

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your girl just isnt getting into the proper frame of mind for recuperation.
Here is a picture of Abby demonstrating the proper technique.
Evidently keeping your butt elevated is important...

Hang in there. She will be back to normal in no time...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HAHA! Love the picture! That's really cute!

This has been Dixie when she's actually calmed down and not running around. ~lol~

But she's been acting normal the whole time, it's just she's not supposed to be, so she's gotta stay on leash or penned up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts