German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So we've had Sadie for 4 weeks and she isn't doing to bad learning wise.

So far she has learnt, her name, the word no, 'Get down', she's learnt not to bite or nip our hands and feet, although she does need reminding every few days. And she has learnt to sit which she id getting really good at as we tell her to sit before we open a door and she is slowly starting to do this before we even tell her.

She has got on fairly well with the above although she does need reminding every other day unless somethings happening and then she's all excitted and she won't do anything you tell her!! But then she's still only a kid, and that's what kids do.

Our main and biggest problem is getting her toilet trained! All the dogs we've had in the past have learnt by having their noses rubbed init, a good smack with a newspaper, and shown where they should be doing it. We started out by doing this thinking it would work. We have however learnt today that GSD don't learn in the same way other dog breeds do, which would explain why this isn't working.

She hasn't had all of her vaccinations yet, so we're not taking her out for walks etc yet and we don't want her going out into our back garden just yet either so we just want her to do her 'business' by the back door on some newspaper until she's ready to go out.

So, how do we get her to do it there at the back door and not here, there, and everywhere as she currently is?

On the few occassions she has done it at the back door on newspaper we've made a fuss of her and given her a treat.

Any help, tips, tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advanced

Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
No dog breed should have their nose rubbed or be smacked with a news paper. For Eva we used the crate method. Although she was in her crate a lot when she was younger, it worked. You put a divider in their crate and take them out every now and then. Once they go to the bathroom, you play with them and tire them out as a reward. German Shepherd Man on youtube has a good video about this, I watched that before bringing Eva home. She was house trained by the time she was 4 months. Although, she found cheats in the system. She peed on her bed once because, well.. it’s not the carpet or hardwood :LOL:. If their going to the bathroom a lot, usually that means they have too much freedom. So try to minimize that amount of rooms she’s allowed in. House Training Video

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. That's very old school training and on the verge of abuse, in my opinion. Never punish a pup for doing something the she doesn't understand. She has no way of knowing that all the rules have changed since she came to live with you. Before, she could go to the bathroom anytime and anywhere she pleased. She has no idea that that is no longer acceptable.

Puppies need to relieve themselves after waking from a nap, after playing, after eating a meal, during the night and about a hundred times in between! It's your job to see she doesn't make a mistake. It's not on her.

Take her out every 30 minutes or so and lavishly reward her and treat her when she gets it right. Either keep her crated or leashed to you whenever she's inside. That way you can keep an eye on her and see any signs that she needs to go out. If she makes a mistake, grab her up and take her outside. Never punish her for messing up. It's your responsibility to see that those mistakes don't happen. She can't be held accountable for not understanding. She will get it, but it will take a little time. If you are vigilant and always aware, she won't make any more mistakes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Also, these are very intelligent dogs. They really want to please their owners. In my opinion, they respond much better to being taught what a person wants from them, and not from teaching them what they don't want them to do.

What is the dog actually learning from having it's nose rubbed in feces? If that were done to me, the only thing I would think is that no one will ever get near me again after I've gone to the bathroom.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also, another thing. You can walk them before they have all vaccinations. Bring them to areas where there aren’t as many dogs and your neighborhood. We took ours to Flea Markets, restaurants, etc. You don’t want her to not be socialized. And walking is really beneficial. We did a little each day, getting farther each time. By 4 months we were walking 4 miles a day no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so after having read my original post back and what you've said the way we're trying to teach her sounds worse than it actually is and I would never in a million years dream of abusing a dog or any other animal, I couldn't think of anything worse.
Yes we obviously do need to learn so new techniques to teach her right from wrong and what she can and can't do. The new rules didn't change immediately, they are being gradually introduced, so she can learn one or two things at a time. What she has learnt already ie sit, 'Get down' and 'No' just seemed happen almost as if she was copying our other dog and when she does do things correctly she gets treats and loads of fuss and cuddles.

So using the crate technique, how do you cope with the whinning, the climbing at the bars and constant trying to escape? We put her in one when we go out with a blanket, a couple of soft toys and a dish of water. When we get back the dish of water is upside down and everything is soaking wet! I know the water and everything getting wet is an easy solve by not putting it in there but will she be ok if she doesn't get a drink for 2 - 6 hrs whilst we're not home?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok so after having read my original post back and what you've said the way we're trying to teach her sounds worse than it actually is and I would never in a million years dream of abusing a dog or any other animal, I couldn't think of anything worse.
Yes we obviously do need to learn so new techniques to teach her right from wrong and what she can and can't do. The new rules didn't change immediately, they are being gradually introduced, so she can learn one or two things at a time. What she has learnt already ie sit, 'Get down' and 'No' just seemed happen almost as if she was copying our other dog and when she does do things correctly she gets treats and loads of fuss and cuddles.

So using the crate technique, how do you cope with the whinning, the climbing at the bars and constant trying to escape? We put her in one when we go out with a blanket, a couple of soft toys and a dish of water. When we get back the dish of water is upside down and everything is soaking wet! I know the water and everything getting wet is an easy solve by not putting it in there but will she be ok if she doesn't get a drink for 2 - 6 hrs whilst we're not home?
She should be fine with no water. Eva is and was. Just make sure she drinks when you get home. If she whines than ignore her. And also the jumping, they stop eventually. Don’t even scold them. Eva used to chew at her crate bars, she sometimes does now. I tried putting bitter apple spray on it, but it didn’t work out! It got in my mouth and all over the place. It stops eventually. She used to whine even if I just left my room, but stopped quickly. I know the whining is quite annoying and LOUD. But if you manage to ignore it, you’ll thank yourself when she finally stops.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Hi guys,

So we've had Sadie for 4 weeks and she isn't doing to bad learning wise.

So far she has learnt, her name, the word no, 'Get down', she's learnt not to bite or nip our hands and feet, although she does need reminding every few days. And she has learnt to sit which she id getting really good at as we tell her to sit before we open a door and she is slowly starting to do this before we even tell her.

She has got on fairly well with the above although she does need reminding every other day unless somethings happening and then she's all excitted and she won't do anything you tell her!! But then she's still only a kid, and that's what kids do.

Our main and biggest problem is getting her toilet trained! All the dogs we've had in the past have learnt by having their noses rubbed init, a good smack with a newspaper, and shown where they should be doing it. We started out by doing this thinking it would work. We have however learnt today that GSD don't learn in the same way other dog breeds do, which would explain why this isn't working.

She hasn't had all of her vaccinations yet, so we're not taking her out for walks etc yet and we don't want her going out into our back garden just yet either so we just want her to do her 'business' by the back door on some newspaper until she's ready to go out.

So, how do we get her to do it there at the back door and not here, there, and everywhere as she currently is?

On the few occassions she has done it at the back door on newspaper we've made a fuss of her and given her a treat.

Any help, tips, tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advanced

Jim
You have had her for four weeks. House training is easy and quick if you do it right, no cheating, from the beginning. Get a crate and roll up your sleeves. If you do not have eyes on her she needs to be in her crate, and yes that means for a while she will be in it a lot! After eating, drinking, playing or waking up she goes outside with you and stays out until she relieves herself. When she does you praise, praise, praise. No water in he crate. Food at least two hours and water at least one hour before bedtime, when she will be in her crate because you cannot have eyes on her if yours are closed. I am guessing she is about 12 weeks? So overnight should be no problem. She should be house trained in about a week if you do it with no excuses, but remember that if she goes in the house it's your fault not hers. The whole trick to house training is to never give them an opportunity to make a mistake, so they never realize it's an option. As far as the fussing in the crate, the more you cave in the longer it will take for her to stop. A solid plastic crate is best and it should be just big enough for her to lay down and stand up comfortably.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts