German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Lillian is suffering. And it's all my fault :(

I am absolutely awful when it comes to toenails. I did have a groomer come out and clip all three dogs maybe three weeks ago, because I had let them go way too long. It was too late :(

The quick was too long, and the clip was ineffective. Lillian ripped her toenail back from the quick night before last and then further today when we went out for our walk.

I'm beating myself up enough, so please, I'm only asking for some advice to ease her pain until we can go to the vet. I have a high pressure job and am launching a new project...Just got assigned to manage a crew on a rush oil play last Thursday evening. I can't tell my client I need the morning off to take my dog to the vet for a torn toenail. The business is too competitive, and that just won't fly. I can and will break away Friday afternoon when I send my crew home for the weekend, and take her to the vet.

But is there anything I can do in the meantime to ease her pain? Can I put Bactine on it or give her some meds or something? I mean, she's always been Such a trooper. When Jack ripped her leg open, she let me put peroxide and a bandage (per advice from an after hours call to the vet) and two hours later she was ready to play! No matter that it took six stitches the next morning. It was like she didn't even feel it. Tough cookie, my weim. But this evening, she is choosing to go back to bed and nurse her ouchie rather than play outside...Which clearly I can't let her do anyway... I just feel crazy guilty and awful for my (usually) Silly Lillian :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
You can try and clip some or all of it off IF it is even possible because when the nail moves it's very painful!
I used an antibiotic ointment and then wrapped it snugly with gauze squares and that sticky wrap you can get at the pharmacy. Change bandages and re-apply ointment to keep from infection.
If she wants to lick it, a little spray of non alcohol Bitter Apple should stop that.
Poor, poor baby!:(

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! She seems to have let up on nursing it today, but not completely. And she's walking around just fine, which is reassuring.

It's no longer red, so that's a huge relief. I'm going to take your advice and put some Neosporin on it and wrap it up. I think that will get us through the next couple of days until we can get the vet to take it off.

Poor girl. I still wonder if I can give her anything for the pain...

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
There is nothing I know of OTC that wouldn't hurt her.
These things can get infected, so watch it carefully.
The homeopathic "Tramueel" would be great for the pain and trauma, but it would take you a couple of days to order it.
I think you can get Neosporin with Lidocaine (a numbing ingredient) in it.
Hope she's ok!:)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! She is still worrying it, but it looks okay, as in not infected or anything. Couple more days and we can get it treated.

I should probably google it, but I think she's actually past needing pain meds at this point. It is annoying her, but not slowing her down, so I don't want to medicate her unnecessarily.

What I would Google is which meds dogs can have. Even OTC, I thought I had heard than one is dangerous... But I don't know which, aspirin, Tylenol, Advil. But it thought there is one that shouldn't be administered.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
You really shouldn't give her any of those.
My girl pulled her's off all the way off into her fur! UGLY! Just a little bloody stub left! I kept it bandaged and a boot on for several days.
Her nail grew back kinda wonky. :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
She'll be fine. Just keep the area clean and don't allow licking. Next time you head to the vet grab some Vetprofen/Rimadyl (general pain management) so you have it on hand for situations like these.

If you need to get those quicks back, there is a dremel method that seems to work well in the standard poodle world. You take the top layers off from around the nail up to the length you want the nail to be. You stop right before you hit the quick. Wait two weeks, and the quick will pull back to that length. Then cut off the excess. It looks very weird during those two weeks, but it works to knock back those ultra-long neglected toenails.

Bad illustration to explain what I mean:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Marbury, I've never heard of that method! I'm going to have to try it!

She'll be fine. Just keep the area clean and don't allow licking. Next time you head to the vet grab some Vetprofen/Rimadyl (general pain management) so you have it on hand for situations like these.

If you need to get those quicks back, there is a dremel method that seems to work well in the standard poodle world. You take the top layers off from around the nail up to the length you want the nail to be. You stop right before you hit the quick. Wait two weeks, and the quick will pull back to that length. Then cut off the excess. It looks very weird during those two weeks, but it works to knock back those ultra-long neglected toenails.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Marbury, I've never heard of that method! I'm going to have to try it!
I thought the same thing, never heard that! Zeke's are rediculous, I've been such a bad mom lately :eek: I'm off to get the dremel right now!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts

That is really interesting! Thanks for sharing

I hope Lillian heals quickly, it's amazing how they shrug off pain

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yeah, I only learned about it a few months ago! I've never tried it myself, but the folks at the Poodle Forum swear by it. There was a user there that posted pics of her dog with this method, and it did work for him/her. If y'all do try it let me know if it really is as awesome as they all said! :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great advice about the meds, and Drexel solution. I really appreciate this forum! Always learning.

Y'all are awesome. Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Ok I tried with zeke. That was a tedious, slightly horrifying task! Lol I dont know if I got enough off? We'll see in 2 weeks I'll keep you guys updated

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Btw his nails look nice and short in those photos but dont let thay fool you. Over half the nail is hidden in fur

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Btw his nails look nice and short in those photos but dont let thay fool you. Over half the nail is hidden in fur

Even so, you did better than I can manage. I was so spoiled when I lived in a big enough town and sent mine to day care. The day care reminded me when the nails needed done, and did them for me. Now, I'm in a nowhere town and its up to me :( couple that with three rescue dogs who think I'm *torturing* them when I even touch their feet...

Your dog's toenails, even with the fur, look to be a safe and sensible length. I'm looking forward to the Dremel-quick back technique update!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I had the mobile groomer tend to Mattie's coat (my senior plushy), and trim all three dogs' nails a few weeks ago.. Mattie didn't protest at all. She enjoyed the attention. Jack sat obediently through the trimming. God boy!

But Lillian, well, it was a two person grooming team. A young man and woman. Lillian knocked the poor woman on her back! :( Lillian is usually my sweetest, most sociable rescue. But when it comes to nails, she becomes a Beast. A 60-lb Terror!

The groomer who got bowled over was sweet and laughed it off. But I need to find a better solution. I have tried and tried, but no amount of cheese can convince my now senior 8-yr old Weim that nail clips aren't *actually* fatal :(

Maybe I will just have to drive her into Houston for a mani pedi once a month, lol!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Over 3 hrs at the vet yesterday afternoon, and Lillian is now bandaged and on antibiotics for the pain.

This vet is the first I have ever visited who let me stay with my dog the entire time. I couldn't even watch the whole procedure though. Just tried to keep her still on the table, because even though he sedated her she was still trembling and trying to move. He cut off the nail and bandaged it all up. It was a pretty gruesome affair I hope I don't have to see again.

Barely slept last night, because she and I shared the sofa and I kept waking up and checking to make sure she was okay. The sedation that was supposed to wear off after 2-3 hours was still pretty much in effect at 10:30 last night. But she's in better spirits today. Eyelids are still droopy, but she jumped off the couch when she saw me pull out the hotdogs, i.e., pill pockets ;) and came limping/running into the kitchen for treats :)

Good news is the vet trimmed the remaining nails and said there wasn't much there to trim and it probably wasn't the length that caused her problem, just that sometimes they get them caught on something.

And it was time for shots and a Heartguard test, so that's all done as well. Heartworm negative! I keep her on Heartguard but she was positive once a few years ago so those tests always makes so nervous.

Anyway. Lillian is on the mend! Thanks again for the advice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts