German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, today was probably the best day of socalization and the worst. there are really only a few places to socialize in my town. petsmart, petco, and the dog park. i know i am at my own risk at the dog park but its a nice way to get jasmine to burn off some energy and meet new people and dogs. well we get there and she is doing her normal barking and then we get to the double gates. you have to walk in the first gate, shut it, take off your leash, and then enter the 2nd gate into the park. there were many people there today and jasmine didn't bark once. she let people come up to her, bend over and pet her, pet her as she was walking by, running up to people to be pet and allowing to be pet by older children. everything was perfect.. or so i thought.we took a sit under the pavillion because i wanted a break from walking.. a car passed with a dog barking in it. a great dane heard it and started barking. she was ok with that, she looked at him weird but was fine. they bring the car barker to the gates...
there are a few rules at this park, one of them being no children under 12. the guy gets his dog in the double fencing and a child under 8 had the hound that had been making all the noise. well he unleashes the dog before he gets in the gates. so he is loose running around in between the small dog section and the large dog section. and he is barking and howling with these 2 or 3 kids all under 12 chasing him. now jasmine is upset. she got spooked at started barking. they finally coral the dog into the park and the kids are running aorund chasing dogs, falling on the ground and other peoples dogs are getting on top of her. an accident waiting to happen. we try and take her to the other side of the park but jasmine was nervous and barked at everyone. even people she let pet her and scatch her 10 minutes before. we removed her 5 mintues after the kids and hound came in. im worried that all of the socializing and training we did is down the tubes. even when i try and socialize at petsmart i always run into 5 or 6 people including employees that walk straight up to her and talk to her in baby talk get right up in her face and then stick their hand in her face. even though i have repeatedly said just ignore her, no one seems to listen. so i have sort of turned to her obideince class and the dog park as means of socialization because pet stores just arent working for us. i feel out of options for socializing. all the places i go it seems that either no one is listening or people have no clue that rules are meant to be followed. the whole thing could have been avioded if they would have abided the rules. i know my dog needs to be bomp proof and nothing should bother her but trying to build her confidence to be that kind of dog if getting hard when everywhere we go is a bad situation. any suggestions

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Structured training classes, or get in touch with a SchH club for some contacts on GSD savvy trainers. Dogpark, pet stores are just too unstructured for what you are trying to accomplish.

If you can go to a Sch club and let her socialize with the people(not the dogs of course) there who are in tune with GSD behaviors will be so much better than letting her around people nilly willy.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well that just plain stinks:(

I would get her a vest, one that says "WORKING" or something like that, I know people won't read it most of the time, and you will still get those that want to come into her 'space/face'.. Be more FIRM about it..(I'm talking out in public not the dog park).

My girl is not one who wants strangers fawning all over her, she is perfectly fine to just "be"..I walk her everywhere, parking lots, shopping centers, those types of places. If anyone asks me if they can pet her, I always thank them for asking, but no she's working and continue on.

Grocery store shopping centers can be great, people are there to grocery shop, not mingle out in the parking lot, so it's a good place to walk around yet not get to many, if any, people oogling all over the dog.

And hey, if your girl WANTS some attention from someone who asks, let her go for it!
Shopping centers may be a tad more low key vs dog parks where anything goes.

Good luck and hopefully this won't put a damper on the work you've done with her

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm with Jakoda, we walk Shadow around shopping center car parks. We have her sit outside grocery stores and wait with one of us whilst the other goes inside. We walk her past outdoor cafe's. We take her to as many different places as we can, she doesn't have to physically interact with people, just learn to tolerate them or better still ignore them.
I've found in the pet stores we take Shadow to, people seam to think they have the right to fawn your dog. Shadow didn't mind the attention when she was younger, she's not so keen on it now. If we go into a pet store with her now it's just a quick walk up and down a couple of aisles and then back out to the car park.
We have taken Shadow for small train trips into our main city center, these were good for exposing her to all sorts of things. She had to go in an elevator, on the train and walk on various different types of flooring. She then had to walk from the train station which was in the very middle of an extremely busy shopping center to outside with lots of sky scrapers. She had to wait on the train platform, which was underground, with lots of trains going past. She did great, she hasn't done this in a while though. We had a back up plan for every step of the way, and we were watching her the whole time for stress ques.
There are many ways to socialize your dog without having people actually invade their space, you need to just get inventive and be prepared with back out and back up plans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts