German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take Rafi to the Farmer's Market with me every Saturday morning. It is a very busy market and it's on a really nice green space right in the city. Lots of people bring their dogs and 99% of them are great with other dogs. Today Rafi met about 20 dogs and he was ready to play with quite a few of them. This has been a terrific opportunity to do extra socialization as there are dogs there of every shape, size and age from teacup to extra large. His greeting skills have improved tremendously and he play bows now when he meets a dog that exhibits happy, playful behavior.

As I was walking back to my truck we ran into a woman with a clumber spaniel and a woman with an Irish setter puppy. The puppy was very, very submissive with her tail between her legs, etc. Rafi has been learning to be calm around little tiny dogs and dogs that are nervous so once he figured out that she was nervous he lay down in front of her, hoping to entice her to play with his nice behavior.
Her person asked me if he was a mal and as we were talking she said she had 2 mals at home and remarked at how calm and well behaved Rafi was.

About one second later we looked down and Rafi had taken a hold of the leash part of the flexi lead and was playing tug with it...and of course pulling the puppy all over the place.
So much for my nice, calm dog! I guess he decided he was going to make that puppy play with him no matter what!
I gave him his leash (made of a climbing rope material) and let him tug on that. As he pulled me all over the place the woman smiled and said that was more like her mals.

I sure do love my boy, he always makes me laugh!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i wonder if that pulling on the leash has anything to do with herding? my Shep likes to take my Grey Hounds leash and walk her. one day in the park he just grabbed hold of her and started to pull. my GF let him have it and started walking, running with the leash is his mouth. we didn't correct him because we thought it was cute. i'm not sure if the Grey Hound thinks it's so cute.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally Posted By: doggiedadi wonder if that pulling on the leash has anything to do with herding?
I dunno, but Taedyn does occasionally like to grab the leash walk me instead. And if no one is holding her leash? Then she gathers it up and walks herself!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
That is a cute story!!!! Go Rafi!!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tugging is definitely not herding behavior. The dog was lying down and Rafi was lying down so there was nothing to herd.
When Rafi herds he walks patterns on my feet, like a border collie. He does this off leash and often on leash too. It gives new meaning to the phrase "healing."

This was tugging behavior. He loves to play tug and he's like a Porsche--from 0 to 60 in record time...the tug switch turns on he's tugging and growling like there's no tomorrow. i can pick him straight up in the air when he's tugging!

·
Registered
671 Posts
That reminds of my neighbor's old dog, who was coincidentally a GSD.
During the blizzard of 96 there were no cars out attempting to brave the 3 feet of snow, so my next door neighbors and I let our dogs run out front between the 3 houses dragging their leashes. Well my tiny lab mix (about 25 lb) was having a blast until neighbor's GSD picks up her flexi lead by the handle and starts playing keep away! So here he thinks Marcy (barely able to keep up) and all the humans were trying to catch him and take his awesome new toy and we had to chase him through the 3 feet of snow all while trying not to laugh.
We finally got the toy back and Marcy was none worse for the wear. hehe

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This whole thing reminded me of a very drivey little sable gsd foster I had called Rio. Rio just loved to grab Chama's leash when we were out walking and then he would walk down the sidewalk holding on to her. We let him walk her. Chama was mortified as she hated puppies but knew she would be in big trouble if she nailed Rio. So she just walked along with her teeth clenched. And then Rio discovered that he could pull Chama wherever he wanted...and that's when we grabbed the leash back...before she killed him!

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I can hear Rafi saying to the puppy.... "Dance Puppet. Dance I say. DANCE my puppet!"

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Great story! I wish we could take ours, the Farmer's Markets around here don't allow dogs. Well, we DO take them with us, but they have to stay in the car while we shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts