German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tober is my 20m old GSD. He happens to have very sensitive feet. His paw pads are forever peeling/being scraped off.
I have never seen this happen with a dog as frequently as this. He always CONSTANTLY has wounds on his paw pads (except when there is snow on the ground).

Part of this no doubt is due to his very intense play style. He goes after a ball/Frisbee as though his life depends on it. When he must stop running he often slides, skids or rolls to a stop. :wild:

I'm thinking perhaps some protective booties will help. Just to reduce some of the friction between his feet and the ground during running/sliding/quick stops.

The booties must be durable, breathable and appropriate for warm weather, and stay on well (within reason).

I am unsure which brand/style is best. I have never had a dog that needed shoes! Anyone with similar problems/suggestions?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Gut musher's secret. It is a wax for the paws. Fiona tore her front pads on both front paws. Then I started using musher's no more problems. Search here for musher's for other threads on it. I got mine from amazon.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Have you asked the vet?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do use a wax for his paws, though not that particular brand . . . worth a try!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have not had this problem but I don't like sliding and skidding. I throw balls in such a way the dog has to find it at the end with their nose - either by distance or into tall grass or, in my yard I have a fence set up that he has to go one direction to get to the ball thrown the opposite direction so by the time he gets turned around he does not have a visual fix.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have had him checked by two vets. They blame rough play. :)
Yikes! You better get some shoes on that dog...or wax...or change the play.

Save the feet! :p

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What is this way you throw the ball? He seems to run and skid whenever I throw it (unless I just toss it a few feet away). Being able to see the object of his desire doe not seem to have any bearing on his enthusiasm. He will simply run to the general area where the ball fell, slide to a stop then use his nose. He is so focused on the ball/Frisbee he doe not give it the opportunity to leave his sight!
He does it when playing with other dogs too. He just goes full bore then skids to stop. He simply does not have a "low gear".
We exercise on 35 acres of field, woods (I don't throw anything in the woods), and swamp.
I am not willing to fence this or a small area to confine him to. We are a very active, outdoorsy team and would like to find another solution to this problem that will not take away from that.
There just has to be another way.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yikes! You better get some shoes on that dog...or wax...or change the play.

Save the feet! :p
Waxing has not helped thus far . . . I do want to try the shoes but am looking for a durable brand that are appropriate for warm weather.

I swear, he is his own worst enemy! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts