German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wolfie hates smoke detectors. I can't say that I blame him. the sound of ours is piercing to my ears, and when one goes off, they all go off and it's obnoxious. When they do go off, Wolfie starts shaking like a leaf and then starts acting destructive like knocking things off tables, jumping on the furniture, etc.
At around 2 am, I was in bed, and I hear a crash, and then Wolfie is scratching my door, and then he opened the door and came running in. He was shaking like a leaf. I went out into the hallway, and yelled down to my hubby, asking what's the matter with Wolfie. He said he didn't know, that it had just started to thunder so maybe that was it. I yelled back that Wolfie isn't afraid of thunder storms. I sat there in the hallway trying to calm Wolfie down. He was trying to climb the walls. Then it dawned on me. I yelled back to my hubby " Are you making toast?" He said " yes, why?" I told him that Wolfie is afraid when hubby makes toast. When we were up at the other house last week, every time we made toast, the old smoke detector in the livingroom would go off. It got so bad, we had to disconnect that one. So now, Wolfie associates making toast with the awful noise. He must have smelled the toast cooking and thought that the smoke detectors were about to go off, so he came up and got me.
I have a dog that's afraid of toast!!!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Poor Wolfie its a curse being that smart. Im not even sure how you could desensitize that. We had a smoke detector like that at our old house ,toast or if I used our range top grill . Daisy and Lucky would both scratch the patio door and bark to get away from it. Wolfie you are very smart guy.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Poor Wolfie! Hopefully he will realise eventually that making toast doesn't lead to horrible noises anymore.

Please make sure you replace the smoke detector you deactivated with a new one :) They are so important!
My friends house burnt down just a few month ago - their dog luckily was in the back yard and went by barking fanatically actually alerted the neighbours who came t the fence to see why Bessie was barking so much (she usually doesn't do that)
They saw the flames and the lady jumped the fence and grabbed Bessie and took her to her house and called the Fire brigade.
She then got my friends phone number of the dogs ID tag and called him to tell him his house was on fire.
So really Bessie helped save the house, if it hadn't have been for her barking it would not have been noticed as quickly.
The worst thing is - that fire was stared by a baby monitor :eek:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor Wolfie! Hopefully he will realise eventually that making toast doesn't lead to horrible noises anymore.

Please make sure you replace the smoke detector you deactivated with a new one :) They are so important!
My friends house burnt down just a few month ago - their dog luckily was in the back yard and went by barking fanatically actually alerted the neighbours who came t the fence to see why Bessie was barking so much (she usually doesn't do that)
They saw the flames and the lady jumped the fence and grabbed Bessie and took her to her house and called the Fire brigade.
She then got my friends phone number of the dogs ID tag and called him to tell him his house was on fire.
So really Bessie helped save the house, if it hadn't have been for her barking it would not have been noticed as quickly.
The worst thing is - that fire was stared by a baby monitor :eek:
Wow! Bessie is a hero! I'm glad the family was saved! Yes, we have replaced that old smoke detector. Hopefully that is the end to the smoke detector problem when making toast.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Maybe Wolfie would have a better attitude about toast if you made him a piece with peanut butter on it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Maybe Wolfie would have a better attitude about toast if you made him a piece with peanut butter on it.
LOL I thought of the same thing!

Its funny what dogs can become afraid of... Knuckles hates construction cones :shocked:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh God no! Wolfie runs when I take the peanut butter out. I have tried over the years to give him some, but he hates it, won't even touch anything with a hint of peanut butter in it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry but hahaha Pavlovs conditioning theory at its best!

LO

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Oh God no! Wolfie runs when I take the peanut butter out. I have tried over the years to give him some, but he hates it, won't even touch anything with a hint of peanut butter in it.

BACON!!!!!!! WOLFIE WANTS BACON!!!! Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon!!!!

{he'd get it himself, but he doesn't have opposable thumbs}

1 - 9 of 9 Posts