German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I wanted to get your thoughts on weight vests for your pups exercise. I recently got one and T'Challa uses it, we use on our walks everyday. I wanted to get your take on it mainly for those who don't have the luxury of being home everyday or having someone home everyday, would you consider the vest? Or what do you do to maintain your furr baby's physical health? Trying to learn as much as possible! Thank you!

Zach and T'Challa

·
Registered
332 Posts
Zach, IMO, weights are OK to use periodically but personally I wouldn't use them all the time because I believe there's
a fine balance between overuse and underuse of the joints and bones in the dog's body.

I keep reading about 'overuse and overexercising' being hard on the joints and I want to avoid that. As in everything Moderation is probably the key.

even in humans overuse in athletes is a thing. Old runners and skiiers often have joint problems as they age.
And in the horse world we say that there's only so many jumps in a horse's life, then the problems start coming.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zach, IMO, weights are OK to use periodically but personally I wouldn't use them all the time because I believe there's
a fine balance between overuse and underuse of the joints and bones in the dog's body.

I keep reading about 'overuse and overexercising' being hard on the joints and I want to avoid that. As in everything Moderation is probably the key.

even in humans overuse in athletes is a thing. Old runners and skiiers often have joint problems as they age.
And in the horse world we say that there's only so many jumps in a horse's life, then the problems start coming.
Got it! I agree, he currently is at about 5 extra pounds on the vest lol so not too much! But you're right too much of anything is bad

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don’t see anything wrong with them when used in moderation. I would take more walks without than with, but 5lbs isn’t too bad for a quick

Is there one that you have liked so far? We want to take Jax on backpacking trips in the future where he will be carrying a % of his own weight (his food, some water, toy, bags, etc) but we have to slowly work him up to this of course, increasing weight as we go.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm planning on using a Ruffwear Approach dog pack this summer when the mountains open up again. I love backpacking and sure hope Willow does too...and she's gonna pack in all her food and pack out the garbage. :) I've put the pack on her and she seems to hate it right now, but hopefully she'll learn to love it because it'll mean fun times ahead.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
I wouldn't use one on anything but an adult dog. When my army dog carried items on her harness, I kept the load under 5% of her body weight. I don't remember where I got that number, but I'm sure someone smarter than me came up with 5%.

For fast exercise, I prefer a treadmill doing steep incline for 60 seconds and flat for 2 minutes. Rinse and repeat. Keep the dog at a trot and not a full gallop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't use one on anything but an adult dog. When my army dog carried items on her harness, I kept the load under 5% of her body weight. I don't remember where I got that number, but I'm sure someone smarter than me came up with 5%.

For fast exercise, I prefer a treadmill doing steep incline for 60 seconds and flat for 2 minutes. Rinse and repeat. Keep the dog at a trot and not a full gallop.
Man I gotta get a treadmill, I have recently been hiking with him without the weight we go for about 2-3 hours

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t see anything wrong with them when used in moderation. I would take more walks without than with, but 5lbs isn’t too bad for a quick

Is there one that you have liked so far? We want to take Jax on backpacking trips in the future where he will be carrying a % of his own weight (his food, some water, toy, bags, etc) but we have to slowly work him up to this of course, increasing weight as we go.
Well I got the XDOG fitness vest it comes with weight pouches about 8 of them each being able to hold 1 pound of like sand, BB's, or whatever, it allows you to make that gradual change also has attachments like a parachute and drag bag! I like it its not super expensive and really nice

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think for walking and hiking they can be great tools but I always get worried when people talk about having their dog doing high impact activities in them. I also am weary of x-dog because of the lack of clearence by an orthapedic veternarian as well as the fact many people have said their dogs shoulder movements are limited when wearing it. I much perfer the design being used by bullybillows which is formated much more like a walking harness.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think for walking and hiking they can be great tools but I always get worried when people talk about having their dog doing high impact activities in them. I also am weary of x-dog because of the lack of clearence by an orthapedic veternarian as well as the fact many people have said their dogs shoulder movements are limited when wearing it. I much perfer the design being used by bullybillows which is formated much more like a walking harness.
Yeah lately I haven't been using it TBH it doesn't really seem to benefit him much hes already strong and gets a ton of exercise so for now we just do normal hiking and what not I think that for a dog that deals with weight issues could benefit more

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the shoulder thing isn't true unless you got too small of a size theres plenty of room for mobility

·
Registered
15 Posts
A former affiliate of x-dog just posted her resignation letter and it has a lot of information about issues people have had. If you look up "Rita Jo Story" on Facebook or google "Rita Jo Story x-dog" it's the first thing to pop up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts