German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear the name Karen Pryor attached to the forefront of this clicker training movement. Also, I see "Click to Calm" on every clicker training site. Is this a good starting point? Are there better books/trainers? Where should I begin? I know I can watch endless youtube videos, but I would like some books too.

Should I just get every book by Karen Pryor? She has a lot of them listed on amazon.com. Do you recommend one of her books over the rest of them? Or maybe the best 3?

Please help point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I think Don't Shoot the Dog! is really all you'd need to get started. I didn't even finish it, it was light a lightbulb went off and I "got" it (I was one of those that somehow thought the clicker itself was a command). There are other books that apply clicker training to different behaviors and situations (like Click to Calm).

I think the most important things with clicker training are 1) timing!! and 2) understand what you are clicking and why (ie, how to shape and chain behaviors in order to get to the end result).

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
For information about training the basics (sit, down, stay, etc.) with the clicker, Gerilyn Bielakiewitcz's (I hope I spelled that right) "The Only Dog Training Book You'll Ever Need" is a fun little book. She did a second, "The Only Dog Trick Book You'll Ever Need" that I really like. It breaks down the behaviors pretty well and tells you how to teach them step-by-step.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I'd say Karen Pryor's <u>Don't Shoot the Dog</u> is the best place to start. I don't have too many 'just clicker training' books on my shelf though I do have <u>The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training</u> and <u>The Power of Positive Dog Training</u> by Pat Miller. I haven't read the <u>Idiot's Guide</u> in almost three years and I read it before I ever picked up a clicker. Pat Miller's book is very much a step-by-step guide to using the clicker to train a dog.

Most of the books I have are either general dog books (eg. <u>Bones Would Rain from the Sky</u>, <u>The Other End of the Leash</u>), training for specific activities, or 'problem' dog books. I do have <u>Click to Calm</u> by Emma Parsons though I have yet to read it.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Originally Posted By: Murphy-Elperroguapo<u>The Power of Positive Dog Training</u> by Pat Miller. Pat Miller's book is very much a step-by-step guide to using the clicker to train a dog.
GREAT!!! I picked this up several weeks ago but haven't had time to read it yet. I'm bringing it to the hospital Friday during Dad's surgery. Glad I made a good choice.

Chris, I picked those two up yesterday based on your recommendations when you e-mailed me. I've got quite a bit of spring reading now!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts