German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I'm such an idiot. Like I said in a previous post I'm at work. I get control of myself then, why I did this I don't have a clue; I go back and read the first post again and I'm sitting here crying like a baby again.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
i beieve in karma and i feel u must have done something good in your life to be able to give love and comfort to a dying soul in his last moments. very few people are lucky to be able to give. most of the times we either dont want to give or cant give inspite of wanting to. you could and though it was not fun think of it this way- many others could have been placed there to do what you had to do, but you were chosen to give love and comfort. no one can top that. no one can take that away from you. A soul breathed its last in your arms, not only would we all like to be this lucky when its our time, but very few can actually provide that. agreed it was perhaps one of the most horrible exp. for you but try to take some solace in the fact that you were able to provide love.:hug:
That was absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
:angel: You truly are an ANGEL! I'm so glad you were there for him as well.

I could never work at an animal shelter or vet office ... A part of me dies every time I lose one of my own.

God Bless you.

:rip: Titan.
Thank you. I was offered a job at the humane society, and I declined immediately. I couldn't imagine doing that every single day.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
One more thought...the "angel" here may have been the dog.

I believe every dog that's ever come into my life has come to me for a reason, with some gift to share. I sometimes don't recognize what it was until years later. Sometimes it becomes apparent quickly, but there's always something they've brought to me--a lesson I needed to learn, healing my psyche when it was desperately need, or something that made me a better person, or a better dog owner. I've known a few who seemed to have a spiritual presence way beyond simple canine personality who got me through incredibly difficult times. I'm pretty sure they were sent into this world to help me through them.

Perhaps Titan was an angel who came into this world to give you a gift, by touching your compassion. That it lead to fostering and saving others like him shows the power of that gift.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

I believe every dog that's ever come into my life has come to me for a reason, with some gift to share. I sometimes don't recognize what it was until years later. Sometimes it becomes apparent quickly, but there's always something they've brought to me--a lesson I needed to learn, healing my psyche when it was desperately need, or something that made me a better person, or a better dog owner. I've known a few who seemed to have a spiritual presence way beyond simple canine personality who got me through incredibly difficult times. I'm pretty sure they were sent into this world to help me through them.

Perhaps Titan was an angel who came into this world to give you a gift, by touching your compassion. That it lead to fostering and saving others like him shows the power of that gift.
I absolutely agree with you on this. I think he touched me in a way that made me a better person and a better animal caretaker. He is, after all, what makes me want to foster. Great point, thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

Beautiful post. I believe this too!

I once found a stray, brought him to my house and he spent several nights with me and my dog while I tried to find him a home through my personal network. I couldn't. So, I took him to a well-respected no-kill shelter. The shelter staff told me that they do a 7-day hold to give time for an owner to come forward and to do medical/temperament screening. I told them the dog did not show any health problems, got along beautifully with my dog and was an absolute sweetheart. Additionally, I said that should any problem arise to let me know and I would pay for any medical bills and foster him until an appropriate home could be found.

Well, I checked in on him a few times over the seven days. On day eight, I called to ask how he was doing and they told me he had been put down. I WAS LIVID and absolutely DEVASTATED. I really felt like I had let him down by bringing him there even though it was no-kill and I thought I had taken care of every contingency.

However, due to that experience, I sought out other all breed rescues and engaged in a lot of very fulfilling rescue work as a result.

·
Registered
89 Posts

On the turning away
From the pale and downtrodden
And the words they say
Which we won't understand
"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"
It's a sin that somehow
Light is changing to shadow
And casting it's shroud
Over all we have known
Unaware how the ranks have grown
Driven on by a heart of stone
We could find that we're all alone
In the dream of the proud
On the wings of the night
As the daytime is stirring
Where the speechless unite
In a silent accord
Using words you will find are strange
And mesmerised as they light the flame
Feel the new wind of change
On the wings of the night
No more turning away
From the weak and the weary
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Thanks Sheps. I love that song and I love Pink Floyd! I'm going to tell a silly story about now. ( If you've read this post, I've cried like 3 times.) I was at a restaurant where almost no one was there. I'm sure it was hot in the kitchen. The door was open. And Pink Floyd was pulsating out of the kitchen. I said to the waitress, " Is that Pink Floyd?" She said, "Ya, the cook likes it." She got a pained look on her face. "Want me to talk to him?" I said ,"Yes. Tell him to turn it up. It's not loud enough! I can hardly hear it!" I got the best food that night!!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
But i don't want anyone to feel I'm making fun or disregarding the things that have been said here. I tried reading the original post when I got home from work and I had tears streaming down my face again. That poor sweet dog.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
This reminds me of an Akita mix who was said to be DA,but was good in every other way. The Director ordered him to be euthanized because his was dangerous around other dogs. On the other hand,the Director kept a dog for a year who was DA and HA for a year and even allowed a trainer to work with him until he was adopted. This was her favorite dog.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Like everyone else, tears are running down my face reading that. RIP Titan, there is no fear at The Bridge.

Angel, thank you for making him feel love in his last moments. At hard and as devastating as it was for you, it made it easier on him, I am sure. Sometimes that is all we can do.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
My Smitty dog reacted that way in a shelter. Fortunately an ACO had known him previously as a dog she had dealt with (owner surrender in the end). A rescuer with a degree in animal behaviour also understood that it was stress, not who he really was.

She pulled him and after a couple of days he was the sweet happy goober dog that he was and has now been consistently for the 5 years he has been with me.

My Smitty wears his 'Lucky Dog' charm because he was one of the lucky ones. Too many aren't so lucky.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Oh my gosh how sad. At least you cared for Titan. Thank you for that.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Your story brought tears to my eyes. There are probably so many dogs pts needlessly. Titan was fortunate to have your loving arms around him, even if just for a short time. And you honor him by your decision to help other dogs. So his death was not in vain.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I just caught up with this thread. I have to say you are one of the most wonderful people in the world to give this poor scared GSD one moment of peace and love at the end. Having had to say goodbye to Pyrate not so very long ago your story has me in tears. If only I could save them all, I would.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts