German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is 11 months old. I want to get him fixed, soon. We were told to have his stomach tacked while the vet was already in there. Well, we've been quoted around $800 for this combined surgery, and I don't know if I can afford to spend that much. So I'd like opinions from people who have more experience with GSDs than I do. Should I pay for that operation to be done too, or leave it to chance and only have him fixed? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delado was neutered at 10 months, I considered both the tacking and prelim xrays but ended up deciding to just do the neuter. It's a risk either way and I decided the surgery risk wasn't worth it IMO

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Our vet told us he likes the surgery, it is easy to do and fast recovery, but to be aware that it is NOT 100% prevention.

I appreciated his honesty. We are considering it, but not sure yet.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Is the vet "in there" because he has a retained testicle? Neuter does not require an abdominal incision............I have never done it. Been very cautious with my dogs about keeping them lean, not feeding huge meals, being careful about when I feed relative to excercise etc.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My dog is 11 months old. I want to get him fixed, soon. We were told to have his stomach tacked while the vet was already in there. Well, we've been quoted around $800 for this combined surgery, and I don't know if I can afford to spend that much. So I'd like opinions from people who have more experience with GSDs than I do. Should I pay for that operation to be done too, or leave it to chance and only have him fixed? Thanks!
having 2 GSD`s that bloated and one die from it, i would recommend the tacking, you can spend $600 now, or possibly thousands later, or worst case the dog dies, they can still bloat with the tacking, but their stomach wont twist, I was offered the chance to have Max stapled when he was neutered, I told the vet I`d take my chances, I lost

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Is the vet "in there" because he has a retained testicle? Neuter does not require an abdominal incision............I have never done it. Been very cautious with my dogs about keeping them lean, not feeding huge meals, being careful about when I feed relative to excercise etc.
We were also told that bloat can have nothing to do with food. It can be from stress alone, water, running, jumping and yes eating too fast and running/jumping. I am sure you know, but we did not. =)

It also seams like it could be somewhat inherited. Some dogs get it and others never see the problem. Not sure, but its a scary thing.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
they can still bloat with the tacking, but their stomach wont twist,
Chances are that it wont flip, but still can =/ and can detach too. I so wish it was 100% prevention.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If I had this opportunity, I would take it....This is just my opinion based on fear!!!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I don't think I would mess with the dog's anatomy, but I'm also against humans getting gastric bypasses and such. You do what you think is right.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Chances are that it wont flip, but still can =/ and can detach too. I so wish it was 100% prevention.
How prevalent is this?

pre bloat?
Gastropexy?
Prophylactic Gastropexy - Should I do it???
Kopper under the knife. . .
Elective gastroplexy , not in conjunction w/spay/nueter?
Pre-emptive stomach tack?

It is not like a bypass surgery.

This problem has 2 parts.

They can bloat where the stomach blows up with air. This can be relieved in non-surgical ways by a vet.

They can torse where the only option you have is surgery.

The surgery helps to prevent the torsion from happening. This gives you more time (not that you should dawdle) from when your dog begins to bloat to get them vet care. It also reduces that torsion from happening - where organs and tissues die off - that either kill the dog or make recovery from surgery more difficult/impossible.

Bloat (Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus) in Dogs
Bloat in Dogs with many links at the bottom

Bloat/GDV surgery seems to cost around $3000 on average.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Oh, I know it's not anything like a bypass surgery. I'm just talking about messing with the anatomy. Invasive procedures that change what was there in the first place. I think things will put together the way they were meant to be. I don't like elective plastic surgery, either.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I had two bloat, one died as it happened while I was away from home and it was too late for surgery. The surgery cost $4000 for the one who lived, we were lucky. He was lean, was on quality food, healthy, regular smaller meals etc. He bloated after drinking water.

I would absolutely do it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Jean, no clue we were just told last week more about it at Zeuses first visit. My husband wanted to know what the vet thinks about it. He did say he loved the procedure and it was done laparoscopically at their office. But he did not want us to think that it was 100%, that there was still a chance for the twist to happen. Who knows maybe they say it to protect themselves. disclaimer type of thing.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Depends somewhat on your location how much it will cost.

Emoore was quoted $450 in the thread I linked.

I think that this is a surgery that shouldn't be a given nor written off but carefully considered.

I had decided against it for Ilda until by accident, just before her spay was scheduled, I ran into a breeder who was breeding the same lines. She said, get it done, after telling me of her loss and knowing more info on the lines.

To me, if that wasn't a sign to fork out a couple hundred more on the 'pexie, I don't know what it is.

Of course the vet "likes" the surgery......tsing, tsing!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Depends somewhat on your location how much it will cost.

Emoore was quoted $450 in the thread I linked.

I think that this is a surgery that shouldn't be a given nor written off but carefully considered.

I had decided against it for Ilda until by accident, just before her spay was scheduled, I ran into a breeder who was breeding the same lines. She said, get it done, after telling me of her loss and knowing more info on the lines.

To me, if that wasn't a sign to fork out a couple hundred more on the 'pexie, I don't know what it is.
We asked our breeder, she said thankfully they had none, but many of her puppy owners do it. I think we are doing it too. I just feel bad for poor Zeus, he will have so much done to him. His toe, belly and snip snip. Hopefully his foot will be ok so we can wait as long as we can on neuter/paxy.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
No, I don't think they've had problems with the current lines they are breeding. They got away from Zamp and Quenn.

One thing to consider, if done laparoscopically it's not really invasive and I've not heard of many negative side effects of the surgery.

I think the key is to make sure the vet has few of the surgeries under his/her belt.

To be honest the thing that was the most shocking about the whole thing was how much hair they shave off of both flanks. No big deal it grows back but when you first see it, well it just makes it 'seem' like it was a big surgery.

You've got time to think about it. :)

We asked our breeder, she said thankfully they had none, but many of her puppy owners do it. I think we are doing it too. I just feel bad for poor Zeus, he will have so much done to him. His toe, belly and snip snip. Hopefully his foot will be ok so we can wait as long as we can on neuter/paxy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts