German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it to early to neuter a nine month old? i have heard that it can mess with growth or somthing like that. my mom wants him fixed terribly bad because when she gets a chance to see/play with him she gets tired of seeing the "red rocket" as she calls it. every one i know says that its fine to do it now- except the vets. they say to wait untill around a year old. i honestly want to nueter him, he becomes uncontrolable around females so we cant take him around any other dogs anymore.
i really havent researched the ups and downs of doing it, so if you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
It's a personal choice. I would personally wait until he is year. Knowing that, having raised makes in the past, the red rocket still rears its head. You have already surpassed keeping that from happening. Sorry.

But if you are seeing behavioral inconsistencies in regards to being around females, that you don't like, and you plan to neuter him anyway, then do it now.

Most behavioral issues can be fixed with proper training. Some are because of testosterone. Which can be helped with neutering, but you don't fix with sx. You just get a leg up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
That's a loaded question. I can probably find studies that support both sides.

Recent studies show that allowing a male dog to finish growing before neutering decreases certain orthopedic problem, such as ACL injuries and in some breeds Osteosarcoma.

However neutering greatly reduces inter male aggression, roaming( therefor less chance of HBC) and territorial aggression. Most serious dog bites are from Unneutered males.

Most if the issues associated with keeping him intact are easily controlled by proper socialization and training.

That said, from personal experience, neutering greatly reduces aggression. I know that is a loaded statement. And I know people are going to jump in and contradict me. But I see it time and time again in my vet practice. If you are unable to handle and effectively train an Unneutered male dog, then neutering them will make it easier to deal with.

If his growth plates are closed, and you plan on neutering, then do it now.

There is no easy answer. I know people will jump in and say they have never had an issue keeping a make intact. And good for them. But they are not YOU. They are not living your life, they are not working your dog, with your experience, in your home.

Do what makes you comfortable. It's your dog. Your home. Your life.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Both my males were "adopted" by me as puppies where I had to get them neutered by six months old - it was required. My neutered males still showed their "red rockets." I wasn't aware neutering got rid of that. lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've heard that most dogs get fat after getting fixed. I don't actually believe this, but from your experience is it true? Is it harder to keep the dog slim? I definitely don't want an over weight shepherd. And so your telling me I'll still see the red rocket? Okay that's a little disappointing, lol! But will he stop "trying it" with females? ( most people are saying it will but on here you said it wouldn't? Without reinforcement?) This is my biggest concern, we can't let him interact with dogs anymore. He's perfectly fine with males and has no aggression issues with them... I'm definitely getting him fixed one day, I just don't know if that day is soon.!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both my males were "adopted" by me as puppies where I had to get them neutered by six months old - it was required. My neutered males still showed their "red rockets." I wasn't aware neutering got rid of that. lol
Lol everyone I know said it would... Guess not. I wish it did.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
So I've heard that most dogs get fat after getting fixed. I don't actually believe this, but from your experience is it true? Is it harder to keep the dog slim? I definitely don't want an over weight shepherd. And so your telling me I'll still see the red rocket? Okay that's a little disappointing, lol! But will he stop "trying it" with females? ( most people are saying it will but on here you said it wouldn't? Without reinforcement?) This is my biggest concern, we can't let him interact with dogs anymore. He's perfectly fine with males and has no aggression issues with them... I'm definitely getting him fixed one day, I just don't know if that day is soon.!

Not all dogs get fat after neutering. From what I have HEARD it is more difficult to keep them lean.
Yes, you will still see the red rocket regardless.
No, it will not eliminate any humping behaviors he has. It CAN sometimes, and sometimes makes it easier to train out of them. But it must be a discouraged behavior. My mom's neutered male humps any female large enough. My friend's intact male won't hump ANYTHING. Same with marking, it's training.
Aggression is not guaranteed either way. Some dogs get better, others get worse. It's all dependent on the dog.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I have not had an issue keeping a dog lean, make or female, after neutering. It is all about controlling exercise and calorie intake.

Red rocket. Still there post neutering.

Humping, still there after neutering. In fact my male, neutered for 5 years, mounted and tied with my intact female. So yeah. Behaviors learned and ingrained, will still be there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I don't see a point in neutering anymore. Good thing I made this thread. I'll still have to look into it more and get more opinions. Thought it would stop the humping and red rocket, guess not. I hope I can fix the humping problem, because its gotten bad. He's done it to a fixed female before! Maybe it's just an end to dog parks. Such a tough decision. Just a question, how long should it take for it to heal after the dog is neutered?

·
Registered
61 Posts

This hasn't been an issue with my shepherds... although it is a HUGE issue with our beagle. As soon as we spayed the beagle, her appetite doubled. The vet warned us that hounds are more prone to this... never had the problem with either shepherd (one is belgian, one is german)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've never neutered my dogs. if i were going to neuter a
dog he would be 2 yrs old or older. training and socializing
will help your dog so he can be around other dogs, male or
female.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With the humping problem (and some people may disagree with what I did) I just scared the bajeezes out of him the first time he tried. He attempted it with our spayed female, and I ran out into the room clapping my hands and making as much scary ruckus as I could. I'm not sure what inspired me to take that route, but he hasn't tried it since.

That being said, I'm sure if you're around someone else and their female dog, you might come off as a lunatic ;)

Semi-related, I did ask my vet once how she would handle in-house marking. She said she would (and has) gotten into the face of her dog and told him "in no uncertain terms is anything in this house 'his' property". I've never had to do that, but I imagine treating humping in the same way... (ie: this is the most sinful and disappointing act you have committed, and I will tell you so in such a voice) might have the same effect.

Anyone else's thoughts on this?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just thought I would go ahead and post that I am going to get Jaxx fixed sometime this month.
He is now ten months, and I think that Is old enough.
Just a little nervous putting him through it... what if it goes wrong? What if they mess up? What if he never goes back to him old self??? Oh, how should I exercise him after this and what is working him to hard (like after stitches and stuff, and are walks okay?)
How long should it take for it to heal after we get it done? Just so many questions.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Recovery should be uneventful. 7-10 days of mild excersise(leash walk) and no major rough housing. Keep him from licking it.

It's a fairly straightforward procedure. The Dr does not go in to the abdomen. Most dogs have zero issues. There is very little that can go wrong, aside from a anesthesia reaction. But those can't be predicted.

I would opt for an IV cath if you have the choice. I always do. It's one less thing to worry about if an issue arises. And gives immediate venous access to personnel.

I am sure your boy will do great. You will probably feel worse about it than he does.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Neutering him should not change him. As far as them getting fat it will lower their metabolism a little and you have to continue with exercise and have to watch his food intake more closely than before. It may not change any current behavior issues but will help prevent future behavior issues that are testosterone related. It should remove the drive to mate. We do spays and neuters EVERY day in many breeds and there are rarely any problems. Where I work we require blood work and iv catheters to make things as safe as possible. If you're taking your baby to a well established and experienced vet they've likely done thousand of neuters with no issues. It's not really an extremely invasive procedure. Much less invasive than a spay. Recovery is usually about 2 weeks with short leash walks only to use the bathroom. Your dog will not know after the first day that they've been through surgery and you will have to be careful to keep them from doing their regular everyday activity. My little girl will be spayed, have a gastropexy, pennHIP'd at 6 months. I will of course be nervous because she's my baby but I know she will be happier without the drive to reproduce and mate when she can't. I won't have to worry about pyometra(uterine infections. The only way to save your dog is an emergency spay). I will have no concerns about mammary cancer (we see both of the often in unspayed females). I feel having her altered will leave both myself and my dog with much less to worry about.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Both for answering.
So he should only have short walks for exercise for like one or two weeks?
And, what if he licks it so I put the cone of doom on him and he hates it? is there anything else I can do other than the cone to make him stop licking it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts