German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there my names is Brian and i have 1year old german shepherd and i think hes to skinny for his age he weighs 78 lbs yesterday that i took him to the vet and he is having loose stools since a puppy. I feed him iams premium protection but having trouble with him eating at his hours sometimes he only eats a bowl a day. Yesterday the vet took a stool sample for parasites and it came out negative this is what the vet told me:

Hi Brian,
The parasite check came back negative.
I would recommend treating Milo with a course of a “deworming” medication since he is young and did not see any history of deworm treatment.
However, intestinal parasites are not likely the cause of his soft stools and his low weight.
I recommend doing Blood work that would include a CBC/Chemisty/UA and a Trypsin-Like Immunoreactivity (TLI). The first part of the Blood work & urine tests is to check out how his organ systems are functioning, the TLI test is to see if he has the Juvenile pancreatic atrophy that some German Shepherds will get.

Anyone ha this problem before? Im really worried.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I am not sure why the vet thinks he is underweight. Your dog is within the standard for a male.
Loose stool can be lots of things. It could be his food. No matter what kibble I used for Fiona, she had loose stool. Now she is on a raw barf diet and nice solid stools. Do some research to see if this might take care of the stool problem. There are several threads about trouble peopl have with kibble. You might need to try different kinds.

Can you post pics of your boy? A side view, a bird's eye view.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
He does look a little thin. Not sure if I see the hip bones. Try giving him some raw hamburger meat with the kibble. See how he likes it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts