German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two rescued GSD's that have had a couple minor issues in my neighborhood (our fault not dogs... of course) when we first got them due to there baggage, lack of training & our inexperience. Now they are great dogs, very loving, well trained & obedient...now. The female is dog-agresive & the male is very protective of our property & us. There are alot of dogs & kids in the neighborhood. The dogs are either toys or labs & our GSD's have been stigmatised & are gossiped about & feared. All totally unwarented!
Anyway, the reason for this post is recently while we were traveling & our dog/house sitter was in the back yard w/ the dogs, two guys from our lawn service unannouced unlocked & opened the gate and walked in. The GSD's were behind the garden shed, heard them and went for them w/ severe prejudice. Our dog sitter said no & they stopped in their tracks, like I said they are well trained & obedient. It could have ended very badly. I am confident the male would have done some damage & the female would have helped. I have called the lawn service & told them to never come in to the yard unannounced. I'm also looking into geting padlocks for the gate. But this spooked me. What if a utility worker or the like tried to come in & no one was out there to stop them? What if a someone climed the fence to retrieve a ball or what ever?
Should we post beware of dog signs? As I see it the pros are it would disuade folks from entering unannounced, including nare-do-wells. The cons are it would further stigmatise them in our neighborhood. I don't know what the legalities are. If we posted it & something bad happened, would that sign bias the law against us by implying that the dogs are indeed dangerous? Or would it tilt it in our favor because we were being resonsibile by warning folks?
Does anyone know the legalities of this, have experience r knowldge about this topic? Any advice and recomendations are much appreciated!
Thanks!
JD

·
Registered
646 Posts
we have beware of dogs signs up . i want people to be aware that we have dogs. From all ive heard on the legal stand point if someone is on your property than that could be considered trespassing and so it dosent matter if you have sign up or not. My sign has caused my oil delivery guy to knock on my door to make sure my dogs are in. they are only suppose to deliver at certain times but dont also follow thru.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Wow, what a close call! You're lucky, very lucky. Padlock for sure!

I've always been told that a "beware" sign implicates you legally. But every municipality is different. I know someone who has a sign that says "dogs will bite" - talk about looking for legal trouble, lol - but his dogs are super friendly, so it's probably never going to happen. I always get a kick out of the "tresspassers will be shot" signs - like, really? Maybe I'm just very naive.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'm thinking of posting "Please Do Not Let Out the German Shepherd Dog or Shih Tzu. We Love Our Pets!" Sure, they're rarely outside alone, but it's still a "subtle" warning that there is a GSD on the property.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have beware of dog signs on all sides of my fence and on my porch. I was told if we have signs posted on all sides of the fence and at the front entrance then a person who choses to ignore those signs and still goes through your fence and something happens, they are then responsible for their own actions. If the kids need to get a ball they need to knock on your door and have you retrieve it. I don't think having signs would do any harm. I think it makes people think twice about their actions. If your yard service guys come on a specific day and time then make sure they call before they enter the fenced area.

The sign on my porch is enough to have the pizza delivery driver call from his vehicle to see if we have put the dogs up. I would rather deal with a stereotype on my dogs , than an actual accident.

·
Registered
646 Posts
yes i was told same thing..you are less liable of you post signs
I have beware of dog signs on all sides of my fence and on my porch. I was told if we have signs posted on all sides of the fence and at the front entrance then a person who choses to ignore those signs and still goes through your fence and something happens, they are then responsible for their own actions. If the kids need to get a ball they need to knock on your door and have you retrieve it. I don't think having signs would do any harm. I think it makes people think twice about their actions. If your yard service guys come on a specific day and time then make sure they call before they enter the fenced area.

The sign on my porch is enough to have the pizza delivery driver call from his vehicle to see if we have put the dogs up. I would rather deal with a stereotype on my dogs , than an actual accident.

·
Registered
837 Posts
We also have "beware of dog" signs up to make people aware that there's a dog in the house. I wonder if there should be signs that say "be aware of dogs". I think that slight change in wording makes a difference.

I also feel if someone is on our property that we don't know, they're trespassing and all bets are off.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
There are also 'Dog on Premises' signs that can be used. As others have said, my understanding as well is that the 'Beware of..' can cause further legal issues if there is a problem.

Padlocks are a MUST.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't post signs with a vicious GSD or any dangerous dog signs. The signs I have are simple black and red "Beware of Dog" signs. I do have a door mat that says "Don't worry about the dogs, beware of owner" LOL so there is some humor to go with it for the ones that make it to the front door :D
I do think it is much different if you have a dog deemed dangerous by the courts due to a previous accident. If your dog has had an accident in the past and there is record and you are by law required to have the signs and something happens again, you are far more liable than before.

yes i was told same thing..you are less liable of you post signs

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'll have to look for the "dog on premises" sign.

Joey stays in the house if we're out.

We have a fenced in yard, but we only let him out when one or both of us is home.

The lawn people have a bad habit of not locking the back gate when they're done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The reason I put the signs up in the first place was due to some kids crossing through the yard. I had told them various times we had a big dog and to stop crossing through the yard. I was outside with my shepherd for his morning potty break and they were running late for their bus and decided to open the gate to cross thorugh my yard so I grabbed my dog and he was barking, they froze and I told them had I not been standing there, they would of met him instead of me and asked them nicely to stop cutting through our yard. I don't honestly know what my dog would of done had I not been there,it is a 50% chance that it could of gone south very quickly and I dont want that for those children or my dogs.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
It really depends on your local laws, but putting up "beware of dog" signs can make you MORE liable, should something happen. Basically, in some jurisdictions, saying "beware of dog" implies that you are knowingly harboring a vicious animal that will bite.

The signs I have up simply say "Dogs in yard--do not enter" in both English and Spanish; for those who can't read, there is also a photo of a GSD. Not a vicious-looking photo with bared teeth or anything, just a headshot of the pup looking alert. It gets the point across without suggesting the dog is dangerous.

My dogs also put up a good show behind the fence, enough to discourage those who don't believe the sign, but I sincerely doubt they would hurt anyone.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
around here in my neck of the woods, i have been told by 3 lawyers, a circuit court judge and my trainer, not to put the signs up, i do have the occasional customer, thats seems to ignore simple instructions, and has surprised at least 2 of mine at the back door, everyone knows what happens when you startle 2 sleeping GSD`s in their house, i was at the pet store the other day and saw a sign that reads, "loose dogs in the yard", that might be a good idea

·
Super Moderator
32,019 Posts
It really depends on your local laws, but putting up "beware of dog" signs can make you MORE liable, should something happen. Basically, in some jurisdictions, saying "beware of dog" implies that you are knowingly harboring a vicious animal that will bite.
Absolutely. In some areas such signs can protect you, in others they'll work against you.

Please check your state and local laws before posting signs, or choose something that simply alerts to the presence of dogs on the property without implying that they may be dangerous.

And definitely a padlock. That's the best way to make sure that nobody can just open your gate and walk in.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
We were just upstate and everyone has "NO TRESSPASSING" signs posted everywhere, I think thats a much safer bet.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
We post the good ol' Private Property signs.

Althought we do have a metal sign that has a GSD sihoutte that says "Welcome", it's decrotive. I also have this one in my flower bed:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts