German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nala is 8 months old. When we got her just before winter, we were letting her do her business on the back porch (super convenient at the time). She learned fast and was potty trained in no time.

Now that Spring is here and the snow has melted, we wanted to train her to go to her new "toilet" in the backyard (setup synthetic grass in one of the corners so she would go there). She does #1 there (yes I reward with treats) but doesn't poop. Her schedule is all out of wack now. I'll wait in the corner with her for 5, 10, 15+ minutes and nothing.... then as soon as we let her go on porch bam!! This has been going on for about a week now..

How do I get her to poop in that corner? Do I simply wait until she goes and if she doesn't bring her back inside? She is her cage during the day. I almost dont mind letting her have an accident in her cage (which never happened that I know of) but the problem is that she still eats her poop!!! Won't exactly solve my problem...

Am I being too hard on her?

I need help/advise please

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
It sounds like she doesn't understand what you want. I would "seed" the corner. When she poops pick it up and move it to the desired toilet area. Leave it there. Dogs are ruled by scent and you have let her use one area and now wish to move it so you need to move the scent. Clean the area that you don't want used thoroughly.
Discourage the poop eating actively, most pups grow out of it but it's a good way to end up with a sick dog especially if she eats other dogs leavings when out and about. It isn't something I would punish but I certainly discourage and show my displeasure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like she doesn't understand what you want. I would "seed" the corner. When she poops pick it up and move it to the desired toilet area. Leave it there. Dogs are ruled by scent and you have let her use one area and now wish to move it so you need to move the scent. Clean the area that you don't want used thoroughly.
Discourage the poop eating actively, most pups grow out of it but it's a good way to end up with a sick dog especially if she eats other dogs leavings when out and about. It isn't something I would punish but I certainly discourage and show my displeasure.

I tried the "seed"... it didn't work...yet. Also, she only eats her own droppings, which is why I have to go out with her and pick it up each time. Annoying!!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Which is why it’s not recommended to train a dog to go in the house. The porch is still part of your house. Her right spot may not be your right spot.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I think if you set up the new area with similar material as the porch, the seeding might work. The synthetic smell and feel of that grass may be throwing her off as well as the new no-go zone rule. Dogs do a lot of sniffing before going and tactile senses may play a part in potty comfort.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I tried the "seed"... it didn't work...yet. Also, she only eats her own droppings, which is why I have to go out with her and pick it up each time. Annoying!!
So this is how I would approach it. You seed the area you wish for her to use and then rather then crate, you keep her tethered to you. Take her out to her spot and if she refuses to go she stays tethered to you. Keep taking her to that spot and if she somehow manages to go somewhere else pick it up immediately and move it to the appropriate spot. Access to her preferred spot needs to be blocked until she gets what you want her to do.
It is stupidly easy to teach dogs the wrong things, and surprisingly difficult to teach them the right things.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
So this is how I would approach it. You seed the area you wish for her to use and then rather then crate, you keep her tethered to you. Take her out to her spot and if she refuses to go she stays tethered to you. Keep taking her to that spot and if she somehow manages to go somewhere else pick it up immediately and move it to the appropriate spot. Access to her preferred spot needs to be blocked until she gets what you want her to do.
It is stupidly easy to teach dogs the wrong things, and surprisingly difficult to teach them the right things.
Agreed and in addition block the porch area. If she doesn't have access, she cannot poop there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank you for your advice. As soon as I got home, she was tethered to me. I would go out often to her spot and she didn't want to know anything. I think she knows what I want her to do, she just didn't want to do it because she prefered the deck and wanted to play in backyard. By 9:30pm, she finally went in her spot :) I gave her lots of praise and treats and she got to be loose in the house before going to bed.

This morning we took her out 4 times before leaving for work and nothing....I guess today is a new day. I will continue routine once I get home.

Thanks again for the advice. It's what I needed! Now will try pinapple and pumpkin with her breakfast to help with the poop cravings ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts