German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 6mo old male. Trying to decide if we should fix him or wait. He is generally sweet but can be aggressive and "crazy" at times. I took him to the vet today for an eye infection and they needed 2 techs to hold him down and the vet wasn't even able to check his ears. He also seems to have a lot of smegma discharge which has dried and the rubbing is causing a lot of redness etc so dr wanted to use the clippers but wouldn't because he wouldn't be still so I've left him there for a bath to see if that will loosen it. They said that when I have left him there for a bath before that he is a real handful and doesn't like it and that it took 4 people to clip his nails. Dr. Suggested I fix him soon because his hormones will take over and he will become a lot harder to handle in the coming months. I told him I had heard that doing it before 18 or so mo is not good for the growth plate etc and he said it was a fallacy. He is not pushing me to even do it there...he doesn't care where I do it he is just strongly suggesting it so I don't think it's "about the money" for him. Just looking for some opinions. We previously had a male Beagle and fixed him at about 2 years and I noticed to change in him except he stopped marking.

Thanks in advance for the info :)

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
I would find another vet. Behavioral issues have very little to do with hormones, especially when he is only a puppy. It is the temperament of the dog and lack of training. And as for it being a fallacy... Well, just find another vet, LOL.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Oh gosh there are a slew of threads on this. I would do a search on "neuter" in the Health and Welness section.

It sounds like your REAL problem has not to do with the testicles but with the lack of training to be handled! Intact dogs ARE more of a handful and more work and in your situation, I think neutering would be the best bet........but.......it won't solve any problems that you are seeing now. Training needs to fix that.

I do not agree with you vet about the growth plates...but how important is that to YOU?

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Although you could probably train some of these issues out of him, if you're not going to take the time to do that (could take a lot of time), neutering does tend to "calm" certain dogs down. If you can't control him at the vet, and he doesn't trust you enough to clip his nails or give him a bath, how do you expect to control him if there is a female in heat around?

Most behavioral issues aren't solved with a simple clip, but male dogs do seem to be calmer when they don't have extra testosterone. They also tend to not be as dominant and don't try to take control of as many situations/other dogs.

This being said...I have an intact dog, I'm not planning on neutering, but I don't have any problem at the vet or giving baths/trimming nails. My vet was actually shocked during this year's annual check up to feel testicles on my boy as he was super calm and behaved. He said its very rare for him to run into a GSD that is intact that behaves as well as mine does. But that is all training as most of the people on this forum will tell you that they also have well behaved males.

·
Registered
11,302 Posts
Good for you to go to the forum before the vet gets his hands on him again. He doesn't need neutering; he needs training, tons of exercise and another vet. Use your vet dollars for a good training class and maybe start with a private session first to cover his issues with being handled.
Exercise him well before you start working on handling him.Intact males can sometimes make you pull your hair out but you have to work them through their bouts of adolescence. Talking from experience here; WD is a year old and doing well, testicles and all :) Keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It's important to get the puppies used to having their bodies handled, like checking their ears. I know it's hard when they're young and quite a handful, but you have to get them used to it. Have you done much in the way of teaching him this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts