German Shepherds Forum banner

To Max, With Love

5K views 50 replies 45 participants last post by  bnwalker 
#1 ·
June 9, 1996 – April 26, 2008

Max, you were the most amazing boy. We knew that early on, but you proved it over and over again in your nearly 12 years.

Remember the puppy in your obedience class who had been locked in a cage all of her 9 months? She was so fearful of other dogs. Her mom brought her to class hoping to get her to a point where she could at least be around them without being aggressive. You flirted shamelessly with her for a few weeks and before we knew it, she was playing with you. Her mom cried with joy. The instructor asked us to please be quiet because we were disturbing the class, but she had the biggest grin on her face when she said it!

You were such a smart and good boy. You got your first CGC at the age of 10 months. And then we did it again a few years later just for the fun of it.

You continued to amaze us over the years and I was always so proud of you. You were the most gentle soul and over and over again, everyone commented on your beautiful eyes and how kind you looked. Adults had no fear. Children had no fear. Other dogs and cats had no fear. You even raised a litter of four week old kittens and taught them that doggies were pretty great things to crawl on. I brought countless stray cats and dogs into the house and you always welcomed them. You sensed that they needed a warm place to sleep and a full tummy. There will never be a better advocate for your breed than you were. You left a lasting impression on many.

Murphy lost her hearing several years ago, but you sensed that and became her “ears”. When you heard the treat jar open, you’d get up and she would follow, knowing by your movements that something good was waiting. She never made a move without watching you, and your bond together brought tears to my eyes many times. You were such a blessing and joy and your passing has left a huge hole in our hearts. Your final gift to us is so amazing. Murphy lost two brothers before you came into our lives, and both times quit eating for over a week. She was inconsolable and we worried so about her. But you obviously let her know that she should be a good girl and eat, take care of herself so that we wouldn’t worry, and most importantly, take over your duty of chasing Lucy kitty when she’s running after the laser. Murphy did just that last night and then looked at us with such pride. There’s no doubt in my mind that you’re by her side. She’s going to be okay and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for that gift.

We had a wonderful time together, big guy, and my heart is aching. There will never be another like you. The house is so empty without your big goofy face.

My only consolation is knowing you’re with Grampy. You guys take care of each other until we meet again...

As a puppy, you were all ears and feet…

As a young boy. Wow, you were one handsome guy. Just look at those eyes…

And as a dignified senior citizen…

I love you for ever and ever, my sweet boy…

See less See more
#2 ·
Kris,

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your boy Max. I am writing this with tears running down my face because it is so clear how much joy he brought to your lives. May you take comfort in all the wonderful memories.

#6 ·
{{Hugs}}

I am so so sorry Kris. Please know Max is still with you. He lives on in your heart. he is right beside Murphy, the kitties and you. You can not see him, but please feel him with your heart. He is there. He is in no more pain. Try and remember all the wonderful happy silly times you have had together.
My heart is breaking for you.

RIP sweet
Max
, and keep watch over your family.

#10 ·
I am reading your wonderful tribute to Max, Kris through my tears and my heart is aching for you

Losing a guy as special as this is hard no doubt about it, I have been there - maybe that's why the tears came so fast -

Sending you a BIG <<<HUG>>>!!! What a wonderful special friend you had the pleasure to love and be loved by. There will be those special times when you will feel him brush pass you and you will know he is right there by your side. I always find comfort when I miss my guy by talking to our new dog and asking her if she sees him - to tell him I love him.

I am truly sorry for your loss and know he will be there for you. Thank you for the wonderful photos of your guy Max.

#11 ·
oh so very sorry kris, rip beautiful boy max...

#14 ·
Oh Kris. I am so terribly sorry-to you, your husband, Murphy and the kitties-what a big loss of one of our seniors here. You feel like you know them-and Max was one that you just couldn't help but love like a long distance friend. Know that people are sharing in your loss and thinking of you all.

#15 ·
Such a beautiful tribute Kris to a remarkable dog........ having been in the place you are now so many times I can only say how sad I am for your loss...... always a part of us goes with them when they leave us, and life is never quite the same again. My thoughts are with you and your family at this very difficult time - here is a very big hug from me and the "Guys"..... Susan, Anja, and Conor.

"In one of the stars I shall be living
In one of them I shall be laughing
And so it will be as if all the stars are laughing
When you look at the sky at night..........
I will always be your friend.."

from 'The Little Prince' - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#16 ·
I am so very sorry for your loss. Your Max sounds like he was such a special boy who brought so much love to you and your family.

Your tribute brought tears to my eyes.

RIP Max

#17 ·
I, too, am writing this through tears but how lucky you were to share Max's wonderful life and I thank you for sharing that with us. He was also very lucky to be with a family who loved and appreciated his special and loving nature.

RIP Max, it is obvious you will be long remembered even by those (like me) who did not even have the priviledge of knowing you.

Hugs to you family on your behalf.

#21 ·
Dear Kris,
I feel your pain, and as you know I have cried with you, but in my heart I am sure that sweet Max is still there, right beside you, and if you could see him I'd bet he is like that puppy in the picture above young and strong and free of pain. You know that I am here for you if you need me .

#22 ·
Kris,

Thank-you for letting me know about Max. This is a beautiful tribute to your best friend. As I scrolled through the photos and came across the dignified senior one, I choked up. Not because he was a senior, but because it made me understand just how long the two of you have loved each other. Very endearing.

Pain is awful to have to endure, but heartache is the worse. I am here anytime you would like to talk. You know how to reach me.....

#24 ·
Dear Kris,

I am at work and I cannot begin to read what you wrote about your beloved Max but the photos said it all...and you are right...look into his eyes...

He is still with you in spirit and in your heart and he will always stay there. I know that he will let you know that he is whole, happy and healthy again. He would never want you to worry.

He was a treasure...and his memory is going to live on, thru you...Sending you hugs and prayers, Judy

#25 ·
Kris, my heart is breaking for you. I am so deeply sorry to read this. I, too, feel like I knew Max. Please take care and let us know if you need anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.