German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been reading this forum for while now and finally decided to make an account! So many beautiful gsd here!

Okay so pretty much have grown up with german shepherds my whole life and have just always loved them! Me and my wife have a beautiful pure bred 18 month old shepherd. Very good with people all pets and dogs and is just very loving. We have raised him with love and it shows! How everrrrrr we also work 9 hours aday each together. We walk him before and after work and always take him for swims on weekends . We also have someone come over and take him for an hour while we're at work. We feel it mite be time to make our family a little bigger with a little brother maybe for our special guy. We have a nice big yard and have alots of fields parks and forest around where we can have fun together. Now he is un snipped and I don't want to get them removed. The thought makes me feel kinda bad LOL. Never done it too my dogs but I've also never had 2 male German shepherds together. Always another breed. Now if they are both well socialized and well trained, I'm sure they will have there moods but long term will I have problems? I understand there will be some issues of course but as far as I know as long as there under control and well mannered ( my current gs is very) I shouldn't be looking at too much problems dot the road after they get used to each other correct? My dog is very well obedient and loves all dogs. Does anyone have experience with this?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if the dog you have now is well trained and highly socialized
why not? you can train and socialize before and after work.
teach the person that comes in to give your dog a break
how to train and socialize in the manner you want.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Just some thoughts to ponder

If your dog is "ok" with the 9 hour work schedule, why rock the boat?

Two dogs are double the work, double the expense, if you are lacking in time with one, you will be really lacking in time with two.

Getting two dogs close in age, means they will pass away close in age:( Devastating enough to loose one dog, two is really tough.

Puppies are ALOT of work! Again, consider your time.

Getting a puppy for an existing dog is not a real good reason to get another one.

Just my opinion..concentrate on what you have and wait awhile to add another

·
Registered
345 Posts
The only thing iffy would be the nine hour work days.IMHO.
Is it possible to plan a vacation around the time of getting a new puppy? So you'd have a week or two for the transition.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have never had two a the same time until recently. I Love it! My girl just turned one and my boy will be 7 months next week. Yes, yes it's a lot of work but is getting easier everyday. This past winter was tuff because of going out in the snow..now both are completely potty trained I'm thrilled.
They adore each other so much, to see them running all over the yard or snuggling up on one of the beds is so cute. They do feed off each other good or bad lol.
Two big pups running in the house -well trying to make it an outdoor thing!
We spend time with both and individual- especially for training and some hugging in the mix.
I enjoy having both if them. It is more work, brushing, etc but well worth it!
You obviously love the one you have - so of course there is always room for one more

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I like having two, it definetely is more work and can be exhausting when you work long hours (unfortunately I do too) but for me it's worth it. The main thing is making sure both dogs get together and alone time with you

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
If you have two, close in age, it doesn't mean you will lose them both within a short time of each other. Things can happen at any time; accidents, illness, the role of genetics in aging, etc. So one can die years younger than the other.
At one time we had three dogs, close in age and it was awesome; endless fetching sessions, play, activities. Yes it was hard when they all died within a few years but there is never a good time to lose them. The memories are sweet and fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys and yeah we're going to try and plan for when we move into our new bigger house as well and take some vacation time. This will be good because there shouldn't be too more dominance since it won't be either of there houses :) we wanted to get a female but we both don't like the idea of getting either dog fixed an were just not ready for puppies so were going to try and make him work with a little brother. Like said my current shep is very nice and loves everything. We think it will be alright we just want to make sure. Also we would be getting a 5 month old or aomething around there so he's not to to small.

Ill leave you guys with another!

ImageUploadedByPG Free1368207596.671680.jpg

Attachments

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when our pup came home we took our vacation time seperately.
by taking our vacation time seperately gave us the first month
of not leaving the pup alone. my GF an i stopped working over time
and weekends. the owners of both of our companies were very
understanding with limiting work schedules because of the pup.
our neighbors helped us and continues to help us with our dog.

Thanks guys and yeah we're going to try and plan for when we move into our new bigger house as well and

>>>> take some vacation time. <<<<

This will be good because there shouldn't be too more dominance since it won't be either of there houses :) we wanted to get a female but we both don't like the idea of getting either dog fixed an were just not ready for puppies so were going to try and make him work with a little brother. Like said my current shep is very nice and loves everything. We think it will be alright we just want to make sure. Also we would be getting a 5 month old or aomething around there so he's not to to small.

Ill leave you guys with another!

View attachment 68010

1 - 11 of 11 Posts