German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi world!

I have my name on a breeders list for a puppy coming in early September (everything crossed fingers toes you name it).
Super excited but I have a question; crate or not to crate?
I think a crate will be good because I know she will be safe while we are out and not chewing everything in our house, but I also had the idea of making a playpen in our garage and putting her in there while we are out so she has a bit of room to play.

What do you guys use?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
I'm a fan of crates myself.

I have my 14 week old puppy crated in a 36" wire crate when I leave him at home. He has an elk antler to keep him busy. :) He's going to be a big boy, so I'll move him up to a 42" crate when he gets bigger, so he'll have more room to spread out.

Honestly, if I kept him in an x-pen, he'd more than likely pee in it! He doesn't pee in his crate.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
crate. Crating is beneficial because it helps make potty training a little easier. Also, should your dog ever have to stay overnight at the vets office for anything or even just spending time at the vets for any reason, they're more comfortable in the crate environment instead of trying to get out and possibly injuring themselves. Its handy for traveling if you stop in a motel for the night, most places wont allow you to leave your dog loose unattended so crating your dog is good. Long trips in the car, the dog is safe in the crate and not bouncing around all over. No unsupervised asking for trouble puppy. When you can supervise, you can crate the puppy. Teaches pup that crate time is chill time.

The benefits continue. Crate for safety. Crate for potty training (no accidents at night if you're careful). For your sanity and the pups sanity. A tired puppy will generally sleep easier in the crate because there's not much else they can do.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We crate for the simple fact that my hubby is active duty Air Force and he will need to be comfortable in it to fly back to the U.S in a few years. We also crate him when we are gone for short times because he still likes to find things to chew or chase the cat. Avery has 2 crates one vari kennel for flying and when we are out downstairs and a XXL wire crate in our room for at night when the cat is inside and he's being a bit too crazy and not sleeping.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I first thought that crating the dog was like punishment. I found after just a couple weeks that my puppy enjoys the security of his crate. He willingly goes in and gets comfortable.

We only use the crate for bedtime and a couple hours a day while I'm out doing errands. He seems to spend his crate time in a nice relaxing sleep. I'm pretty sure of this because he just wakes up, stretching and yawning, when I go get him out during the day.

One other note that seemed to help us in crate training was to put his crate next to our bed at night. He was fine being in the crate, so long as he could see us. He no longer needs that extra reassurance of his people near, but we still keep his crate in our bedroom.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is it a good idea to get a large crate, one to fit my dog as an adult, so she can grow into it or wait till she gets to that size?

You want it to be just big enough for the puppy to lie down comfortably. That'll help ensure he isn't motivated to eliminate in the same place he sleeps.

The best kind, imo, is one that is adjustable so you don't have to keep buying different sizes. The one I used (and use) had a removable divider so I could keep making the crate bigger as Shadow grew. Don't use the crate as punishment, either, since you want your pup to enjoy his time in there without howling in distress and keeping you up at night.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't like crates past potty training. Knuckles will go in his when he wants, the door is gone off of it, but he's never locked in it. My Golden was crated at night when she was a pup, but she was potty trained so quick... 3 months old ... and she didn't have to use it anymore. Lost a couple shoes to her - Goldens love things in their mouth, but it's all in with having a puppy!
Knuckles was trained at the same age about, but we kept him in because he was a chewer...but then we figured out he destroyed more things being locked up in the crate than being left out, so we're happier now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Crate. We bought the iCrate off amazon for large breeds and it had a divider so it grows with your dog. It's been excellent! It didn't take us long to crate train Shelby. It makes life easier on both of you when you leave the house or go in a car. I use it as a training method as well so after she does some training she will rest for 15-20 minutes to absorb what we just went through. It also makes potty training easier. Mine never went in her crate and barely in the house.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm in the crate corner for all the reasons already stated and more. Training a pup to crate should be as basic as training your pup OB. It doesn't mean you have to leave your pup in it's crate when you feel it's earned the right to stay out on it's own. It just means it's an additional tool for you to use during your pup's life.

My GSD is totally trust worthy outside his crate. But I still feed him breakfast in the crate so he remains comfortable (and quiet!) with his crate. Therefore I can take him anywhere I go and I know if I run into trouble (an aggressive dog or a person afraid of him) I can crate him and he'll be just fine.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My GSD is totally trust worthy outside his crate. But I still feed him breakfast in the crate so he remains comfortable (and quiet!) with his crate. Therefore I can take him anywhere I go and I know if I run into trouble (an aggressive dog or a person afraid of him) I can crate him and he'll be just fine.
I am pretty sure you didn't mean it the way I am reading it, but I have a picture in my head of you carrying a crate around with you on walks in case you run into trouble :rofl: I keep giggling at the thought of it... :p

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have a crate AND an x-pen. Now that Lara is potty trained I use the crate at night for when it's bedtime, and during the day I leave her in the living room in her pen. When she was younger I only put her in the crate. I would not raise a puppy without a crate after how easy it made potty training and keeping my stuff safe. Not one thing has been destroyed by my puppy...well, she's destroyed plenty of things I give her to destroy, cardboard boxes anyone? lol

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I am pretty sure you didn't mean it the way I am reading it, but I have a picture in my head of you carrying a crate around with you on walks in case you run into trouble :rofl: I keep giggling at the thought of it... :p
Yea, when we go on walks I carry his crate in a Lil Red Wagon. I happily pull it behind us. When a mean ole' dog comes up, I crate Hondo. Gets a little heavy sometimes, especially when I'm going uphill. But not so bad going down hill. In fact, sometimes I jump on and you can hear me a mile away, "Weeeeee...Weeeeee...Weeeee...."

I meant when I go to a friends house, or visit family out of state. Any time we go out of town.

But I do kinda like the idea of riding the crate down a hill. I don't think Hondo would be too keen on the idea.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would personally like to crate this puppy because she can then sleep in my room at night so she won't annoy the rest of my household with barking. And during the day she can then stay in there safe.
My brother reckons we should just leave her outside with a kennel while we are out working cause thats what his workmates have done with their puppies but I feel that she will not learn proper house. She will be supervised inside the house at all times, but when not supervised either outside or in a crate.

At least I will know she is safe in the crate. Our backyard is German Shepherd proof so I'm not sure what to do really........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts