German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4th of July!!!
Every year there is a firework show at the Ft. Myers beach right on the pier.
We're usually standing right next to the pier and it's pretty loud and there's tons of people with all kind of weird glowy things on them. Great for socialization.... I'm afraid we might hurt her hearing, we could move a ways down the beach though I suppose. But it's probably still going to be loud.

It's a great show but I'm not sure if I should bring the puppy along? Any suggestions and opinions?

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Has your puppy been exposed to fireworks yet? If not maybe you could buy something - like bangers or bottle rockets and set them off (safely or course) somewhere she can see and hear them. Watch her reaction. If she doesn't care then I would say bring her but start father away.

My boy Riggs used to go with us to the fireworks every year. He spent the whole time trying to get the people around us to play with him.
We were about 100 feet from where they set them off.

I plan to bring Mauser to a smaller display of fireworks Friday night and see how he reacts. If he is fine then we'll go to the big show Saturday.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I would NOT bring a puppy to a fireworks show.
When Djenga was a puppy there was going to be a big fireworks show right across from where we lived. I wanted to take her out to use the bathroom before it started. They decided to start the show early and for the first few fireworks she was fine but then she started to freak out. I felt terrible
Even though she is a dog with a VERY solid temperament, it was too much. Since then she has gotten nervous around thunder and lightning.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She hasn't been exposed but I have been playing firework sounds for her on my laptop. No where near as loud though obviously.
She doesn't seem to care about that.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Those recorded sounds are nothing like the real thing.

Any gun clubs near you that you could take her to before Saturday? That's closer to the real sound.

When in doubt, best to err on the side of caution. Maybe just put her in the car and drive within about a mile of them when they start. If she shows no sings of distress you can drive closer. Keep going closer until either you are as close as you can get or she shows signs of distress.

If she shows signs - make happy noises to her and leave.

If she doesn't show any signs then you know that NEXT year she'll be able to watch them with you.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ack guns. I think I would be more distressed than her at the gun range. I would be no help at all there lol.
I think I'll get some small fireworks and see how she does thanks for the suggestion

So if she doesn't react I still shouldn't bring her this year?

·
Registered
670 Posts
IMHO the noise and smoke from fireworks isn't healthy for humans- why would we subject our dogs WAY more sensitive ears and nose to it? No offense to those that go, but I stay home and watch it on tv. No crowds, bugs, noise, or smoke (filled with chemicals BTW- what do you think makes those pretty colors?) Actually, I can hear some of the local ones from my front porch and see them sometimes too.

PS- Don't mean to rain on anyone else's parade- a high family history of cancer has made me rethink some of the things I expose myself (and dogs) to.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We brought Inara down to the display last week, but only because she's never shown any anxiety with people letting them off in the neighborhood or with any loud storms. We were about five blocks away on the riverfront. She basically just sat there watching the people, and there were thousands. I was pretty surprised by her reaction, well non-reaction. We were close enough to home though to bring her away if she started to freak out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Maybe you can play some youtube videos of some fireworks and see how that goes too. I know it's not an exact substitute but there hasn't been any thunder for Miko as a puppy so I socialized him via youtube. Next time there was some thunder, he brushed it off. Could work.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I would be very cautious about this. If this is pup's first fourth, I'd skip it. Barker the Elder's response to fire works was "Whazzat!" "Let's go get 'em!!!" Her predecessor really hated them. I think, as a pup, she got loose on the 4th because I got her as a street stray from the HS on July 19 or so. Scariest thing that happened with her was getting sandwiched on a pedestrian platform between the railroad tracks and a busy street. That was before I quit using a choke or pinch collar and I am very glad I had it because she would have been dead doggie otherwise. Be cautious. Stay home this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts