German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 10 week old puppy that I bring to work everyday, I answer phones at an auto repair shop. It's a concrete floor that is dirty/dusty no matter how much you sweep. Is it that bad to bathe him at the end of each week? He gets to play outside after work which helps dust him off but the last couple Fridays I have washed him and the water is pretty dirty. Thoughts?

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
Talk to a local groomer and see what they use as shampoo. Dogs get bathed weekly all the time :)

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
My thoughts are keep him crated at work to avoid him being contaminated with all the chemicals. He will groom and ingest this stuff. Watch out especially for anti-freeze and windshield wiper fluid.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I'd be very scared of what's on the bottom of the shoes of the guys who work in the car bays when they come through the office. Those chemicals can be extremely toxic. I agree with Gatorbytes about crating him.

Otherwise, maybe get an x-pen and go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a length of artificial turf or outdoor carpet that's the size of the x-pen. Drop your piece of carpet and set up the x-pen as the pup's play area. The x-pen will keep people from walking on it, and the carpet will keep the pup off the floor. Roll it up at the end of the day so no one is tempted to walk on it when you leave.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My buddy owns a shop. He brings his boxer. But he keeps his dog out of the shop bays and leaves him in the office.
ATSDR - Public Health Statement: Used Mineral-based Crankcase Oil
There's grease, oil, gasoline, antifreeze, brake fluid, sharp metals/rust. Plus whatever solvent they use to clean the bays.
A gentle shampoo would work, but.....

·
Banned
850 Posts
They say to not bathe a GSD too often. I think once a month is fine. I like to take a wet towel with a drop of shampoo and just wipe them down to keep them smelling like pee.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would get a forced air blower to blow off the dirt - like a metro commander -I hardly ever have to bathe my dogs and Mr Beau is famous for his mud baths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts