German Shepherds Forum banner

To add another dog or not....

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  NotaBelgian 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am the single owner of a 5 year old male, Indigo. He is a dark faced, smooth long coat/plush male that WAY too many people ask if he is 'one of those Belgian mumble,mumble dogs'. It wouldn't bother me so much except that when I say no, he is a GSD, they frequently respond with 'Really? Are you sure?' ARRGH.
He is my first GSD (I will never have any other breed) and I truly appreciate the bond I have with him. We are very close. He is majestic, gorgeous, easy to train, willing to do anything I ask and is everything a dog can be.
My question is this. A few of my very dog saavy friends have commented that I should seriously think of getting another dog before Indigo gets too old to adapt to the new puppy and that he will be able to help me train the new member of the pack, which I totally understand. They believe that this will also assist in the transition when Indigo is no longer with me.
I would appreciate any comments.

On another note, I am a new member and am very impressed with the helpfulness of the members and the unbiased nature of the responses. Thanks in advance for any input.

#4 ·
We got our second pup when Kaycee was about 9 1/2. I wish we would have done it sooner. She was a great help in training and she did try to play but she ran out of steam fast.

How does your boy get along with other dogs now? If he gets along great then I would say this is a good age to add another. You also have to think about what sex, would you add another male or a female? We have several conversations on this subject on the board you might want to look up and read.

I have a 9 month old male and in a few weeks will be adding a 7 yr old female so I am going the other direction, lol!

#8 ·
Hello everyone,
I am the single owner of a 5 year old male, Indigo. He is a dark faced, smooth long coat/plush male that WAY too many people ask if he is 'one of those Belgian mumble,mumble dogs'. It wouldn't bother me so much except that when I say no, he is a GSD, they frequently respond with 'Really? Are you sure?' ARRGH.
Have to say this the first I've heard of people thinking a classic looking GSD was a Mal. Usually people think Mals are GSDs.

As to when to get another dog, there really isn't a rush IMO. If you want another puppy now, that is great. If you just want to get another puppy because you think Indigo is getting too old to accept one, that's not really the case. If you do decide to get a puppy, a female would be better than a male as GSDs can be prone to same sex or interdog aggression with dogs that they live with.

#9 ·
if you can handle it, time, money... and you WANT another dog and your current one is good with other dogs, he would probably enjoy a buddy and it would definitely help with the training.

#10 ·
Getting another dog, especially a puppy, is a TON of work. Your new pup will require a lot of time, supervision, 2 am potty breaks, training, one-on-one bonding time, etc . . . so much so, that you may feel that Indigo is not getting the same time and attention he is used to - so I agree with getting another dog because YOU want one. Not because others think you should get a pup.

I also think that if Indigo will openly accept a new pup in the household now, he will do so later on also. So don't feel rushed, listen to your guy and heart on what you feel is the right thing to do. Nothing wrong with having just one dog.

#11 ·
I introduced a new dog when one was 6, and again at 13. It's not about age so much..

IF YOU have the time, resources and WANT for another dog, go for it. But they don't always get along so be prepared. And separate them when you're gone.

#12 ·
Thanks for the responses! Indigo does fine with other dogs; he appreciates good manners and tries to ignore bad mannered dogs. He did great with my sister's two 8-11 week Mini Aussie puppies- tho the crush they had on him was a little annoying.:crazy:
I will wait and see what the universe brings, I think.
And yes, the Belgian thing is weird. They do not look anything like each other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.