German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Yea, that is another reason I wanted to stay away from a rescue. They want way too much info that is none of their business. Not sure how wanting to keep a dog healthier by not having it fixed at under a year old is red flag.
I ran a rescue for years. I wanted ALL info. If I am placing a dog with someone I want to know who that person is, and talk is cheap. I know a man who bought numerous dogs from reputable breeders over years and his pattern was get it, raise it, show/compete, title, sell. Because he just liked the challenge. That's hard on dogs. I know another who bought two beautiful bitches from great breeders and turned them into puppy factories.
No dogs left my care intact regardless of age and none left without reference checks, home visits and at least two sessions face to face with me. Because it's not about your ego, it's about the dog.

·
Premium Member
11,213 Posts
I am a breeder, I also stand behind my dogs. I recently picked up a 26 month old black male - gorgeous dog - whose owner died in November...he is neutered, I have all his paperwork....I am looking to find him a forever home...I am not "giving" him away, I am just as picky for this dog, if not more, than for any puppy I have available. I need the same info, the same rapport with the next home as I did with this owner....his family never even thought to look through his desk to find my info when he passed...so it took awhile...but I had that dog back within a week of when I was made aware of the owner passing.

Lee

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I see where the OP is coming from in terms of not wanting a dog neutered before the age of two due to the health benefits, BUT I also completely agree with what Jax is saying. Refusing a dog just because he's neutered is a huge red flag. Demanding an intact dog immediately makes people jump to the conclusion that you want to breed, regardless of what reasons you give. Do you know how often people lie? Do you know how often rescues and breeders are completely screwed over because someone put on a good front but was lying?

Example:
I worked at the humane society in my city. I personally did the adoption paperwork for a solid black German shepherd male we had. This dog had behavioral issues as he was over a year old and was simply stuck out in the backyard on a chain before he came to us. We did extensive evals on him, and our training team worked with him for weeks before he was ready for adoption. It was decided that he was a dog that absolutely could not go to a home with other dogs. When we did the initial interview with the prospective adopter, he claimed he had zero other pets and zero children. This was before we told him Anubis could not go to a home with other pets. He simply lied because he felt like it. Turns out, the guy had another male, intact dog, and he and Anubis (the GSD) got into a fight. The other dog was killed, Anubis was returned to us, and the guy threatened to sue us because we allowed a dangerous dog to go out into the community. We were screwed over and a dog died all because the guy lied.

Would you be willing to take a dog that's neutered if he's over 2? If the only reason you want an intact dog is so that he isn't neutered early, what if the dog was neutered after 2? I vote you simply go to a breeder to avoid receiving an already altered animal.

·
Super Moderator
2,502 Posts
This thread was reported and is being closed, this subforum is only for listing non-urgent purebred GSDs for placement in a new home.

OP, if you would like to open a new discussion, please take a look at the General Rescue section - there are some pretty good conversations from over the years (from both sides of the fence).

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.