German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pag...ckocy1.app20b#1

ASPCA Offers Forensics Expertise in Record-Breaking Puppy Mill Raid
The ASPCA is assisting in Tennessee's largest-ever puppy mill raid, lending our special cruelty investigation team that includes two forensic veterinarians and our Mobile Animal Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) Unit

The 747 animals discovered in the raid, which began early last Wednesday, were kept in enclosures throughout the 92 acres of hilly and rocky terrain known as Pine Bluff Kennels in Lyles, TN. While the vast majority is dogs, other animals on the property include horses, burros, miniature horses, chickens, goats, parrots and pedigreed cats.

The ASPCA team, including Dr. Melinda Merck, the nation's premier forensic veterinarian and animal CSI, was deployed at the request of the Humane Society of the United States to assist in the collection of evidence for future use in the likely criminal prosecution of the farm’s owner. According to Merck, there are about 700 dogs on the property—including more than 200 puppies—all suffering from a lack of basic care. The dogs were found in feces-encrusted, unventilated pens with little or no food or water. Maladies such as matting, sores, broken limbs, hernias and abscesses are prevalent. Breeds found on the site run the gamut, from Pomeranians and Chihuahuas to German shepherds and Great Danes.

“This is one of the worst situations I have ever seen,” says Merck. “Animals are in extreme states of neglect and illness. Some are dead. The overcrowding, the unsanitary conditions, the flea and parasite infestation, as well as the stress of competing for food and coping with untreated illnesses, are all severe.”

“We are pleased to be able to lend both human resources and hi-tech equipment to this effort in Tennessee as part of our ongoing fight against puppy mills,” says ASPCA President & CEO Ed Sayres. “We want to see this cruelty come to an end.”

For complete details, please read our latest press release. And to find out what you can do to fight puppy mills, visit ASPCA.org/puppymills.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
So very sad but am glad they were able to raid and confiscate the abused animals. I don't see how anyone could treat animals that way.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
When I read that article Jean posted, I knew the name sounded vaugely familiar -
Quote:Adkisson was charged in 1998 with 195 counts of animal neglect and cruelty after police and animal officials said they found hundreds of malnourished dogs and puppies on her property.

Three convictions stemming from the 1998 charges were overturned in 2001 when an appeals court found that police had improperly searched her property, which violated her constitutional rights.
http://www.inhumane.org/data/PAdkisson.html

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
This woman is sick! Braking a few bones and leaving her locked in a cage in the deep woods with no food or water to fend for herself...... Naaa, still not enough!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Don't know about ho hum but it's pretty common.
To me what's worse than the press her's didn't get (and it did get quite a bit in TN anyway) is that other mills like hers exist all over this country and few of them are ever prosecuted. Even when they're charged (rare) far too many get off because the laws protecting animals from that kind of abuse are weak and ineffective at best.

I'm not sure if her website is still up but if so, it's interesting to look at. I cached it as an example to show people that you can't go by a "nice site" that says all the right things. The discrepancy between her description of rolling fields with happy romping dogs and the reality of the situation should give anyone thinking of buying a dog over the Internet a good long pause.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In TN it has gotten quite a bit of press. The last few days on the local news here in Nashville they have been talking about the animals being adopted. Here is a link to an article about that http://www.wsmv.com/news/16798662/detail.html#- . They have also been saying that those who adopt these pets would have to make sure to give all their contact info as the animals might be used for court stuff etc. I just thought I'd also pass this along as well with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts