German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,988 Posts
Not that familiar with AKC/CKC style obedience either, but I would say that a BH is equivalent to a CGC/CD/ and some elements of the CDX.
Having done both, I'd say not really. A dog can not only pass the CD/CDX but get a really good score even if they almost flinch or crawl through the exercises. I find the openess of the SchH field to be a much more difficult distraction then the obviously contained AKC ring, and the group part is pretty easy to practice if you have a few friends with dogs, trained or not. The CGC test, while commendable, is pretty easy to rehearse a pass and have nervy dog get a certificate. I know that it makes sense to have every test be exactly the same because Americans want everything to be fair, but it does lead to a less than true reading of the dog's character in many cases. I was at an fun event a few years back and we had 6 dogs with us, they were doing CGC tests as a fund raiser. We had never done the test but decided to enter ours for the heck of it. Of course ours were all at different levels in their training, but what the heck. They all passed with flying colors and so many of the spectators and testers just gushed over our dogs. We were shocked that they were so impressed at what we considered basic minimum skills.
We also offer dog daycare as part of our business and many prospective new clients feel like they shouldn't have to do the evaluation if their dog has a CGC. We always ask what age they did the test. If the dog was younger than 15mos or so, then we tell them we need to do our own evaluation as the dog has probably matured now and we need to make sure the social skills are compatible with daycare. I am always shocked at how many were done at 7-10 mos. I'm thrilled they took the time to do it, but I am not going to take at face value that the adult dog will react the same way now.
Every GSD in our house (7 at the moment) has Kkl parents. I know it is expensive to do all that, but we have done it with our own and when we bought from other breeders we were perfectly willing to pay what they asked since we understand the time and cost involved.
Granted, we have only been involved in producing 3 litters in the past 10+ years since that is not our "thing".

· Registered
1,988 Posts
Just came from an AKC trial and didn't see any dogs flinching or crawling through the exercises-
I'm not saying they all do by any means, but I have seen it MANY times. I don't think that people shouldn't participate and work towards the AKC titles, but I will stand by my opinion that the Kkl was intended for the GSD as a way to preserve the breed and it's abilities and traits. Capt. von Stephanitz devised the system to continue the breed he created and loved and I for one don't feel like anyone has come up with anything better or even equal.

AKC titles are great, and when we get clients who sign up for a training program to get a CD, a TD or a CGC then we love to help them reach that goal. It gets people involved with their dog (regardless of the breed) and hopefully continues the hobby for further generations. So yay, but as a minimum breeding requirement, not so much.

Oh, and our club is DVG club, which is an all-breed Schutzhund club. We have members who are working specifically toward a BH and have no interest in bitework, and some who are just aiming for a tracking title.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.