German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
even though i hav had the most wonderful GSDs ive ever seen/met, i am new to the forum and its styles of posting. i have been reading several posts and replies - very informative and inspirational
but, i cant make out some terms used in this forum which might be familiar to the experienced but, as a newcomer, i cant follow many of those.

i hereby quote a sample from the signature of a member of this forum

UCD UAGI Starine CD RAE HT OA OAP NAJ OJP HCTs NAC NJC TC CGC
Kayto CD RAE2 MX MXJ OF AAD ASA AJ AG SS SR EAC EJC OCC TG-O TN-O WV-N CGC FFX-AG
UAGI Astro AX AXJ NAC NJC JS-N
Rio RE OA OAJ CGC TDI

at this point,all i can guess/understand is the names - kayto,starine,astro and rio

i know a little about shutzhunt titles and a few others (not so much in detail but, yeah, a little bit)

can someone please explain what all these combination of alphabets mean??

·
Registered
818 Posts
It can be a little confusing, this site is pretty helpful and should hopefully handle most of your questions regarding title meanings. :)

Dog Titles & Abbreviations

·
Registered
31,838 Posts
even though i hav had the most wonderful GSDs ive ever seen/met, i am new to the forum and its styles of posting. i have been reading several posts and replies - very informative and inspirational
but, i cant make out some terms used in this forum which might be familiar to the experienced but, as a newcomer, i cant follow many of those.

i hereby quote a sample from the signature of a member of this forum

UCD UAGI Starine CD RAE HT OA OAP NAJ OJP HCTs NAC NJC TC CGC
Kayto CD RAE2 MX MXJ OF AAD ASA AJ AG SS SR EAC EJC OCC TG-O TN-O WV-N CGC FFX-AG
UAGI Astro AX AXJ NAC NJC JS-N
Rio RE OA OAJ CGC TDI

at this point,all i can guess/understand is the names - kayto,starine,astro and rio

i know a little about shutzhunt titles and a few others (not so much in detail but, yeah, a little bit)

can someone please explain what all these combination of alphabets mean??
Each of those letter sets equal a title, or the highest title in a venue. The agility titles are pretty unruly. Novice Agility Jumps, Novice Agility Weaves, and the dog has a ton of them. Generally, a title takes three legs or the dog must qualify in a show three times to get the title. Generally. A CGC, CGN, TDI, TT -- these are certificates, dogs take a test once and get them.

The RAE actually is ten times the dog must qualify in both Rally Advanced and RAlly Excellent in the same show. Then they put numbers in it for how many times you have reached ten, like RAE2 would mean that you did it 20 times.

Herding titles are like alphabet soup too, because it depends on what you are herding, and how many you are herding. Confusing.

In any venue, you list the highest title. If you have a UDX, then you also have a CD, a CDX, a UD, but you do not list those.

Usually conformation titles precede the name, ie. CH Fido CDX.

MACH and OTCH would be Agility or Obedience Champions, and that has a different set of criteria than just a title, so many first placements, so many dogs per class, etc.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
To add to that, in AKC generally the letters/title in FRONT of the dogs name are the higher and more important then the ones after! Fame and glory!

So the MACH in front of my Bretta's name is cause she earned a CHAMPIONSHIP!! (whoohoo! parades! confetti! fireworks!) that's an agility title. Good part of that for agility is that is removes some of the lesser letters I used to have after her name because it's taken for granted she has them once she's earned her MACH.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts